Rental advice PLEASE!!!!

Donnyvcpt

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a rental at the moment and the market is a nightmare. Can anyone please give me some advice on getting a rental without employment? I have 2 job offers but they're only verbal so far. 

If you can afford it, offer to pay three to six months rent up front, show them a copy of your bank statement, this sometimes works.

• Like 1

It's a tough one as the landlord looks it from a business perspective. (S)he will prefer the tenant that has a stable job with a solid track record.

That said the current vacancy rate in some states are higher and tenants are in a good position to negotiate a deal.

So make it attractive for the landlord by offering 3 months rental upfront, long term lease etc.

If the landlord needs to compare your application against 5 others what will differentiate yours from the others?

Now if you search on this forum then you will find many, many tips already posted

Similarly on other expat forums. Google is your friend!!

• Like 1

It is subsidized housing.  I doubt you would qualify so don't know why it was raised.  It is for low income families and you have to register with a provider and show proof of income and assets.

I think this is a red herring and not worth pursuing.

National Rental Affordability Scheme. Your income is assessed over the last 12 months (earned in Australia). You cannot earn above a certain amount (depending on your family size). Enquire at your Real Estate if they have any as part of their portfolio. The rules also differ depending which State you reside in.

It is private housing.  The owner gets an incentive from the government for leasing at a lower rate.

It's private housing through service providers where you have to register as a low income family.  They are not available for rent on the "open market".  There is a process in place in each state to qualify for NRAS housing. 

Oh I see. Thanks, but I doubt very much that I'll qualify seeing as though I've only been here for a week and a half. I've decided to take another holiday rental until I figure out my employment situation. The problem I have is that I've been offered employment on the spot at the first place I was interviewed, but the company I was interviewed at after that is a bigger company and they do exactly what I was doing when I was in SA. They seem very interested as well, but they still have candidates to interview and will only let me know the week after next. In the meantime the first company is offering to waive the initial 6 month probation and take me on full time immediately because they aware that I'm awaiting the outcome of the 2nd interview. Now the agent's sending me for another interview on Monday. I'm in a very fortunate position at the moment, but because I'm waiting I don't have proof of employment to show the real estate agents.

I think it is wise to take up holiday rental for now.  You are so close to getting a job - 3 irons in the fire!!  Go you!!

It will only be a few weeks until you can do the permanent rental thing.