Preferred Bank

JessRoetz

Hi there!

My question is what bank would be best recommended in Aus?  We have heard good things about Westpac, but they apparantly charge $2 per transaction?

We want to open a bank account in Aus before we leave, and we are a bit unsure.  

We are currently with FNB, which we have had no problems with them before.  

I also have another question not regarding banking...  My husband has about 20 or so unopened bottles of whiskey he has collected over the years, and we have about 36 bottles of wines we have collected.  Are you allowed to bring alcohol into Aus, and do you pack it in your container?

Many thanks,

Jess.

I was very happy with Westpac. The fees will be a function of which account you choose. Westpac has a special section on their website for immigrants.  http://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/moving-to-australia/

You can bring your wine and Whisky collection. You may be required to pay duty on them.

Commonwealth Bank have an everyday saver account that comes with a debit card and you don't get charged bank fees in the first year and after that you don't pay any fees if you deposit at least  $2000.00 per month. 

Never had any issues with them and only ever great service. 

• Like 3

I am very happy with Westpac, as I was able to verify the account from South Africa and transact from it without ever having to step foot into a branch in Aus. However I notice they are charging $20 on every deposit I make from SA to Aus. Transferring money from Westpac account to my sister in Aus didn't attract any charges though.

Edited by dme
clearer explanation
  • Like 1

what codes are you guys using when sending money across (before you move) i am trying to do our first one and the bank have sent me the BOP outward funds form but am not sure which codes to use.

thanks

You would have to supply the SWIFT code for your Australian Bank.

You also have to give the BSB (Bank Sub Branch) Number which is six digits

You also have to give the bank account number.

Thanks guys!

HadEnoughofJuju, did you ever transfer money over to the Aus account while in SA, and do you know what the charges were?  $20 per transfer from Westpac is quite steep if we planning on making a couple of deposits before we go.  

Transferred money several times and never paid a cent. We have been here almost 3 years now and the only bank charges I've paid have been for cash withdrawals from non CBA atms. 

On 1/9/2016 at 6:29 AM, Mara said:

You would have to supply the SWIFT code for your Australian Bank.

You also have to give the BSB (Bank Sub Branch) Number which is six digits

You also have to give the bank account number.

thanks Mara, i have that info from our bank in Oz (opened an account with Commonwealth bank - based on forum recommendations and a bit of research) 

i meant the Main Category * Sub Category Classification *  Category Code on the Outward funds BOP form. I selected "Emigrants" and "cash" funds codes 530 / 05 which my bankers have indicated as being correct, under our circumstances that i explained to them. Our first transfer is set for Wednesday, ZAR is looking really lousy though :cry:

thanks