Our first trip back to SA

sianvz

Question

On Tuesday, January 05, 2016 at 3:07 AM, rozellem said:

Sian, for that reason, I cough up for Dec/Jan visits there. Even then its really difficult to pin people down. My family still live in the same house they built in 1969, so you will think there are tons of old friends around. I would say, of my school friends, more than 50% live overseas.  The rest is a collection of typical sad stories you will only hear in RSA.  Some have died  on the roads, many more divorces than I am used to in my Sydney life, LOTS of problem drinking, the usual drug suspects, even a old flatmate (middle class lawyer, mum) on Tik! I met with lots of kids that are medicated, lots of adults on anti depressants, many kids looked stressed, lots of Call of Duty kinds of video games being played by kids under 8, etc. We live in Sydney and my kids looked like country bumpkins in comparison. People are restless, jealous, paranoid, pushy, unhealty and very fat. And this is just among my old friends! Without sounding like the Dalai Lama, I can only sum it up as to say "They are not at peace".  Not with anybody around them and definitely not with them selves. My dear parents are in the over 70 bracket, so I feel obliged to see them while the opportunity is still there and there is also a precious bond between them and my kids. Not wishing them a speedy end, but the moment they pass, I cant see myself going there again. 

I loved your dalai lama part. And the country bumpkin part The rest i think applies to the rest of sa not cape town. I have found ct people to be 'self voldaan' not sure the English  word for it

Its funny; we landed in Perth airport on our way to Sydney and our little one seemed to perk up a lot. Our flight to Sydney was delayed, so we weren't happy. But he was over the moon, even though he had only been to Perth for 2 hours on the way to Durban.

A local friend of ours thinks our kid could smell the eucalyptus in the air. She thinks it was quite comforting for him. 

On 04/01/2016 at 8:25 AM, sianvz said:

We also got a fair bit of 'so how did you guys get into Australia, can you give us some info in case the you-know-what hits the fan'

Its interesting how you lean to play the system here.  Its certainly not a case of, " I see the dodo has now hit the fan back in South Africa, here is your Aussie VISA! ".

You have to get your Aussie VISA before things fall apart in South Africa. And even though that means living away from your family for a few extra years, you win overall. Aussies are used to the idea of, " you never completely win ". For one, they *love* to invest, especially in property.  South Africans are just too distrusting that, if we take a knock today that we will reap the benefits tomorrow. We say things like, "why buy an investment property? The government will take it over and move some poor people into it just before an election".

@monsta You joke all you want but we had a land claim on our property and it is no fun at all. First you read in the news that your area has a land claim against it. Then you get the information stating that while the claim is under investigation, you are not allowed to sell your property without obtaining permission from the Dept of Rural development and Land reform. No alteration or upgrades are allowed either without prior permission from the dept.

Then the report releasing the validity of the claim that should have taken three months get stretched out to more than eight months. During that time you see the property prices in your area plummet since no right thinking individual wants to purchase in a area with a potential land claim on it. Yet, you still have to pay all the relevant costs of the property and get this, it is illegal not to maintain the property during the time the property claim is investigated!

Even now, a full two years after this nonsense property in our suburb is approximately 25% less than what it was previously and selling is not easy due to the publicity that was generated during the investigation. Personally I would think twice before investing in property again in SA.

Ps: We loved Perth, jogging in Kings Park was a fantastic start to the day! Too bad most of the jobs for both of us are located closer to Sydney!

Edited by CyberJoe

On 13/05/2016 at 1:04 AM, monsta said:

Its funny; we landed in Perth airport on our way to Sydney and our little one seemed to perk up a lot. Our flight to Sydney was delayed, so we weren't happy. But he was over the moon, even though he had only been to Perth for 2 hours on the way to Durban.

A local friend of ours thinks our kid could smell the eucalyptus in the air. She thinks it was quite comforting for him. 

Its interesting how you lean to play the system here.  Its certainly not a case of, " I see the dodo has now hit the fan back in South Africa, here is your Aussie VISA! ".

You have to get your Aussie VISA before things fall apart in South Africa. And even though that means living away from your family for a few extra years, you win overall. Aussies are used to the idea of, " you never completely win ". For one, they *love* to invest, especially in property.  South Africans are just too distrusting that, if we take a knock today that we will reap the benefits tomorrow. We say things like, "why buy an investment property? The government will take it over and move some poor people into it just before an election".

The biggest problem with investing in property in SA are the renters. They don't look after the place, and it's not that unheard of to hear people sterling taps, light fittings heck even the think pink out of the roof is fair game. And then there is the fact that it is nearly impossible to get people out of your property, if they don't pay. They are even trying to make it illegal to evict someone if that will leave them homeless...