Hello Sydney!

Donnyvcpt

Hi everyone, happy new year to all of you. I hope 2016 holds nothing, but success and Gods richest blessings to you all.

My wife, daughter and I landed in Sydney on the 29th of December 2015 and so far it's been amazing. We do have that fish out of water feeling looming heavily over us, but we've found the locals very friendly and accommodating. We left  South Africa on Sunday the 27th and travelled with Etihad from Cape Town via Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi. Leaving Cape Town turned out to be more emotional than I anticipated because of how my daughter reacted to leaving everyone behind. She's only 5 years old and loves her grandparents like crazy so when she saw her grandma breakdown it naturally took it's toll on her. I was the one that got the blame of course, but after a while she settled down and got excited about our move. Our trip lasted 31 hours which is something I would like to avoid at all costs when travelling again. Direct flights are definitely the way to go for those of you who are still planning your trips.

We landed in Sydney at 7:40am tired and moody. Getting through immigration and customs was a breeze, but our troubles started at the baggage collection. 4 of our 6 bags hadn't made it to Sydney and when we found out that the 4 bags had missed the flight in Johannesburg alarm bells were going off in my brain like crazy. After spending 4 hours at the airport sorting out the baggage problems and getting new sim cards etc.. we finally caught a cab to our temporary rental in Mosman. Our first day was spent sleeping lol....jetlag got the best of us. On the second day we got our bank accounts sorted out and caught a train from North Sydney all the way to Penrith to view a car in "immaculate" condition. I had no idea how far Penrith was from North Sydney, it really hit home just how big this place is. So we got to the dealer in Penrith and immediately I could see I was messed around regarding the car. The car was scratched all over and the interior was dirty and in bad shape. When I asked the dealer what the drive away price was of the car was he told me $13000, when I told him they're advertising it for $9950 he immediately dropped the price. I was already put off at that moment, but he convinced me to take it for a test drive. He went into the office to get the key and came back to start the car and nothing happened so I had to wait there while they got a battery charger to get the car started. When the car started I could hear that there was something seriously wrong with it and he obviously could too because he told me to wait there while he goes to put fuel in, but I saw him driving up and down the road hoping the sound would go away. After a while he came back and told me the sparkplugs are gone but I should test drive it and if I wanted it they would get new sparkplugs for it. Naturally I backed out of the deal and ended up buying a car from a young guy on gumtree. I met him in Botany Bay at his place of employment and got chatting with him.  He told me that they were looking for mechanical fitters at his company and that he will have a chat with his managers for me. During the transaction I realized that I didn't have my drivers licence with me and that the dealer in Penrith hadn't given it back to me after the test drive. I ended up driving back up to Penrith the next morning to get my licence back. the rest of the third day was spent shopping and sleeping. On New years eve we spent some time exploring the area then made our way to Cremorne point ferry wharf to watch the fireworks display. I couldn't believe the amount of police presence they had all over on New Years Eve. On New Years day we took a walk down the road to Balmoral beach and spent the entire day swimming and tanning. Today I managed to get my drivers licence sorted and the car ownership transferred onto my name. The plan for next week is to visit Centrelink and medicare.

So far we're loving Sydney, but it's still very early days and we haven't really settled in yet. Things are happening, but it's moving slowly.

• Like 7

Donny, your arrival sounds great, welcome to AUSTRALIA!

When I read about your tanning for the day, I just felt motivated to remind you that you need to cover yourselves with sunscreen 50+, Australia has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world! Also, when outside, be prepared to wear a hat, or you may well be surprised to get skin cancer on your head! Honestly, I am not kidding...

Welcome.

That car dealer sounds like car dealers anywhere.

Glad you're enjoying it so far.

Thanks Mara I will definitely do that. I hadn't even thought of that to be honest. We put on plenty of sunscreen, but we aren't wearing any hats. 

Oubaasdik, he definitely is like any used car dealer anywhere in the world lol. He actually called me while I was on the train headed back to North Sydney to tell me it was the coil that went and that I'm welcome to come back to test drive again. I'm glad it happened though because it taught me to keep my witts about these things and not be too naive.

Welcome to Aus :D

Hope that the baggage and car dealer experience are the only troubles you face now that you've landed.

All the best for the settling in further.

• Like 1

Things seems to be good, hope this week will be much better and that the car guy brings some good news for you. Is the lost baggage there yet? All the best with everything ahead may everything be smooth 

Hi Chips,

The luggage has arrived unscathed lol. Had a recruitment agent contact me yesterday about a perfect position for me. In fact it's exactly what I was doing back in SA so fingers crossed it all goes well.

• Like 3

Donnyvcpt,

Thanks for sharing! We leave next month and we cannot WAIT anymore! I am dreading the airport departure though because I don't know if I will be able to hold back the tears. We took our kids for a visit to the airport yesterday to show them all the planes and talk them through what would happen on the day we leave. I noticed some people who had been crying and I had to hold back my tears..lol!!

All the best with the job offer sounds promising!

• Like 1

Thanks elleneo:)

TashyL, enjoy your final month in SA. We tried our best to prepare our little one for the move and in all honesty she would have been fine had it not been for how emotional her grandma got when it was time to leave. Unfortunately there's no way to get them ready for that. We just allowed her to have her moment and when she was ready she gave us a big hug and kiss and started enjoying her adventure. 

Best of luck to you and your family for the big move. Keep us posted on your move as well

Welcome, Donnnyvcpt - indeed, there are plenty dishonest people here as well. Lots who look friendly and competent, in reality are anything but. My pet peeve are estate agents, we've dealt with 50+ and I have yet to find a competent, honest one. People are generally helpful and friendly, but don't be shy to ask questions, it is your right after all.