Furniture, Is there cheap places to start and build up basic stuff

SalomeCilliers

Hai Everyone

Is there second hand places to get cheap furniture.To start with or give aways.I heard sometimes people throw away stuff that is not broken.

I am making a scrap book of stuff need to be done from A to Z After landing in Ausie... so on ... just to make the proses fun and look back and get to see all the moments.

Bud there is so many things to think about.

All the help would mean the world to us.

S

Hi, 

We have been here 3 months, and apart from shipping a few small heirloom pieces of furniture, started from scratch this side. I can share the following with you from our experiences in Melbourne:

With regards to the freebies:

- There are days when people put out their unwanted goods on the pavement for the council to collect. 

The variety available and frequency of the pavement 'dump' seems to depend on the area you live in. Some of the stuff put out is real rubbish, but I have seen some usable items , and those disappear quickly.

- Join the buy/swap/sell facebook group of the area in which you intend to settle - just today I saw someone advertise a couch free to the first person to collect - looked like someone moving, and they were desperate to get rid of it, and it looked as if it were in good condition

Cheaper second hand alternatives:

- Salvos, Vinnies and other op shops ( charity shops ) have a furniture section, and you can find some real bargains there, especially if you don't mind solid wood items that need a little TLC / modernisation 

- Gumtree - although I must admit, I have not seen a real bargain yet for items I specifically searched for

Cheaper new goods:

- IKEA - yes, it is most laminated chipboard, ( there are some solid wood items too ) but there are some great, useful pieces that if taken care of, will last. I have a friend who bought stuff in the UK, moved to several places around the UAE, and still has the same pieces in her Melbourne home. So they have been taken apart and re-assembled countless times, and survived several international moves. 

- Big W - not a huge selection, but there are basic storage items , shelving units etc at good prices

The internet will be your best friend. Just google items you want, in the area you want to live in , to get an idea of prices in general. Then you will know a bargain when you see them.

Hope all goes well!

• Like 2

Wow thank you,This helps alot.

Well lucky for me i love to redo old furniture.

Everything my family see as scrap i take and remodel it.Then its brand new.

This is really stressfull because we have a little girl 18 months.And its kind of scary.Because she will need stuff.

We where also thinking of shipping a little of her stuff.If its possible to share a container because it wont be more then 8 big boxes.

Thank you 

S

SalomeCilliers,

Aussies are very generous and Australia is one of the most prosperous nations in the world, they are happy to help and always willing to donate to those who need it.

We are part of both Kids & General Household Facebook groups for our area/suburb and there are regular giveaways, deals and people ask if/when they need it, someone will say, "I need XYZ", and people offer up things, many free, you just have to collect them, likewise you pay it forward where you can.

Our neighbors threw out a perfectly good 50"+ Panasonic TV worth $800 new, it was two years old, but they wanted an upgrade, same with cupboards and smaller appliances.

When we moved here we got all our smalls donated FREE - toaster, kettle, sandwich press and my son was also given a bicycle.

Many of our children's clothes have come off these groups, nice dresses for our daughter that may have cost $50 new, we have picked up for $10-$15, we even bought a bunch of Lego for my son, which included 6-7 mini figures (normally $5 each) and a bunch of other bits for $10.

Recently we got bought some beach toys, badminton set, swing ball set and cricket set from a lady who sold us everything for $10.

We also borrow toys from the library, books, DVD's and get FREE magazine subscriptions to the latest e-mags. You can take up to 30 items at a time and this pass year we have checked out over 90 items and also received a bunch of FREE children's books from the library which had been taken out of circulation.

They also offer weekly FREE playgroups, crafts and reading times and offer coloring in, I take our kids at least once a week to do crafts (they provide the materials free), the libraries offer free WIFI as well to catch up on the news, emails or Facebook.

All this to say, you can easily pull things together on the cheap or even free, it might not be the latest or greatest, it will be preloved, but still make for a wonderful home.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 5

Thank you Matt

This helps.We where really worried because we dont have fancy stuff to sell here..So we can buy all new over there.

We are going to use my husbands Pension to do all the immi stuff after then there wont be much left.

So we are going to work hard to do everything we can to build a beter life for us bud mostly for our baby girl.We want to give her a Future.We dont mind using second stuff because i like do decorate and i will fix everything.

Thanks again

S

SalomeCilliers,

Many, like us, do it for our children. We suffer the pain, discomfort and hardship, so that they won't have to. Next year my daughter will have lived half her life here and like her brother are becoming more Australian each day.

When you receive PR and hopefully Citizenship in years to come you'll benefit from FREE world class state education, FREE medical assistance and your kids can receive financial support for tertiary studies through FEE-HELP/VET-ASSIST.

The world is their oyster and as the old adage goes, a fair go for all.

It's worth it, so worth it.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Salome you are lucky, at 18 months, kids need very little kid/baby specific stuff. By then, mine slept on a normal single bed, had no bottles, ate the same food as us, etc. You will literally need: a local car seat, a strap on seat for a dining room chair and a light weight stroller for walking. The rest of the stuff we think we need is just down to clever marketing. Things that are of great help to us mums are: Your local mums facebook group of the area you settle in ( will be something like "Northern Beaches Mums", "Inner West Mums"). Also, South African facebook groups in your city/area. They will often have a basic kit they lend out to new arrivals or if you explain your situation, people can be very generous. Bottom line, speak up, ask nicely, pay it forward when you can.  

• Like 2

That is true words Matt.

I just dont see a future here.I dont want her to struggle because we wont be around for always.. So to secure a future now is beter then to wait untill its to late.

I Know this jurney wont be easy.Bud we are willing to go to hell and back.

Regards

S

• Like 1

Hi Rozellem this is good to know thank you.

So stressfull because mostly im like ok this this and this can be done.. then im like ooohhj boy... What about our baby how will we manage to do everything.

Bud then it happens someone on this great page gives advise and pointers..then i feel beter.

It really helps to have the support here.

Hi Salome,

I use gumtree.com.au and have found absolute gems for furniture, at prices that are a joke. Try them. 

Hi Surferman and Mara

Thank you i will have a look at the pages :)

I dont know what to say now Surferman and Mara... Because im Shocked... 

I checked all the web adresses you 2 gave me... And wow.... Its cheap and the stuff they give away is not bad at all... 

I am not used to see something like this...People who cares about each other.. 

This is amazing.

Thank you

• Like 2

Its true, I use Gumtree to get rid of stuff often. Or my local Buy/Swop/Sell pages on Facebook. I like the idea of recycling, so would rather put something on for free, someone doing me the favour of coming to collect it quickly and giving it a second life, than struggling to find a buyer for an item just because I want to make my money back. Karma is alive and well here. 

• Like 1

Rozellem true words..

I also give away what i dont use bud in SA the people makes you not wane do it sometimes.. 

I gave away alot of stuff when we moved to a smaller place and a lady said she needs it like really neads it... because she also have a baby so on... 

And she doesnt have money to buy.

I gave it all to her even droped it of at her place...

3 days later on OLX she sold everything i gave her and then she put a add on 

Wanted Samsung s4 got cash... 

Its just sad because it was mostly stuff her baby needed that i gave her... Because i saw how she lived.. bud jah i did my part out of my heart.

Here in Canberra, there is something called The green shed which will take all sorts of stuff, refurbish it and sell it again at a decent price.

They also give clothes away for nothing.

I arrived when I was 5 months pregnant. Before my baby was born I received clothes and loads of other baby stuff from my neighbours as gifts.

Op shops are amazing, you can pick up stuff for next to nothing. My middle daughter bought some cycling sunglasses from an op shop near Bright for 20 cents.

Don't worry - there are lots of places to find stuff for cheap / free as people here don't like things going to landfill and would rather give it away.

• Like 1

Hai Sibella 

Thats great to know.Sometimes when i read the possitive things here i get hope again..