Tuberculosis contact

JackoFam

Question

We are at the stage of completing the medical questionnaires on our Immi account before booking our medicals and my husband and I disagree on how to answer the question below:

"Have you ever been in close contact at work or at home with a person known to have Tuberculosis (TB)?"

My mother was diagnosed with TB in May 2013 and underwent the 6 months treatment  and is now in the inactive stage. Now my mother lives in the next town and I see her about once a week so I feel as though we should definitely answer YES in the question but my husband is unsure.

Have any of you had to answer this question YES and what were the consequences of this for your visa.

6 answers to this question

I went for a Chest X-ray scan and they found scars on the lungs going back to my teen days about 20 years ago - this resulted in a CT scan followed by a visit to the pulmonologist and then 3 sputum’s on three consecutive days which had to culture for 6 to 8 weeks.  I just received the sputum results today and they are negative (clear), now another CT Scan and then the results are forwarded to the Medical Officer in Melbourne – according to the panel GP I should now get the green light for the medical.  However it cost me 7 to 8 weeks of stressing and several thousand rand.  I assume if you say YES to being exposed to TB you too will undergo this process. 

DanielJoshua,

Yes, you will, my wife did. My wife didn't have TB, but was around a college that did and the x-rays showed up scaring in her lungs. She was negative and after the test had her Xray cleared by the Aus Dr. It costs extra to do the tests and we had to wait, but lying JackoFam might cost you your application if X-rays show up anything. Just be honest and clear about it.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Just an update on this topic. We went for our medicals yesterday and it was a very smooth process. My sons mantoux test was negative and as far as we could tell our chest xrays were clear as well but we will see if Oz requests the extra sputum tests for us.