1 Week to go!

doggit

The Big Day is just about upon me.  I fly out to Perth on 28th, initially to stay with a friend who has been kind enough to offer accommodation for a few weeks.  I'll admit I'm a little nervous, a little excited, but I'm sure it's all going to work out for the best.

I've done things a little differently to what seems to be the norm described on the forum, mostly because my situation is a little different - I'm going alone.  So I've scaled my life down to 3 bags, including my hand luggage.  I'm not shipping anything at all, what I'm taking with me on the plane is all there is.  Thank goodness for migrant baggage concessions!  It's been a pretty liberating experience to shed my 'worldly possessions', but I'm sure I'll start accumulating stuff all over again once things settle down.

I'm starting in Perth, mostly because I have a soft landing and access to local knowledge, but I may or may not settle in Perth.  It all depends on where and when I can find employment.  Fortunately I am privileged to have a 189, so I am able to live and work anywhere in Australia (and even in NZ if the opportunity presents itself).

All the best to everyone who is still waiting or making plans for The Move.  Enjoy the time you have - before you know it the Big Day will arrive.  Which is just the beginning, really.

• Like 2

Enjoy your new life in Australia Doggit. We started out in Perth but ended up in Melbourne. I am sure there are many advantages to you going it alone. You have only yourself to think about. Enjoy this new adventure. All the best to you ?

Good luck doggit

My daughter also went over with just her 23kg allowed baggage and 7kg carry on. We had such a laugh before the time, she took her suitcase every night  to the vet where she worked part time to weigh it.... brought it back home, took stuff out and weighed it again untill it was the correct weight. 

Doggit,

If you do plan to job hunt in Sydney or Melbourne, make it easy for employers. If you are getting a few bites in either city,  schedule a trip over there for a day or two.  Then see if you can get interviews lined up.  Buy a plane ticket you can cancel in case your interviews fall through. Employers won't be keen to fly you over.  But they may interview toy if you are in  town for another reason :)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice folks.  I may well end up 'over east', we'll see how things go.

So I'm guessing you've arrived by now. How are things going?

Hi BrendanH,

Yes, I arrived yesterday to a warm welcome: approximately 33 degrees in Perth.  I was told that this an average summer day, and can expect much hotter on occasion.  I think I have been spoiled with the East London climate, where it's seldom too hot or too cold.  Ah well, 2016 is going to be the Year of Adaptation, I'll add climate to the list.

The friend I'm staying with is away at the moment, so I have his house to myself.  Today I borrowed a bicycle and headed off to sort out my bank account and Medicare.  Both went smoothly, with friendly service and short-ish waiting times. Interestingly I was served by immigrants in both cases.

So far I have sampled a couple of local products (Redback beer - yum, Hungry Jacks - yumless), and have been invited to a NYE party where I will know not a soul. An excellent exercise for my introvert nature...

Doggit

• Like 3

4 hours ago, doggit said:

Hi BrendanH,

Yes, I arrived yesterday to a warm welcome: approximately 33 degrees in Perth.  I was told that this an average summer day, and can expect much hotter on occasion.  I think I have been spoiled with the East London climate, where it's seldom too hot or too cold.  Ah well, 2016 is going to be the Year of Adaptation, I'll add climate to the list.

The friend I'm staying with is away at the moment, so I have his house to myself.  Today I borrowed a bicycle and headed off to sort out my bank account and Medicare.  Both went smoothly, with friendly service and short-ish waiting times. Interestingly I was served by immigrants in both cases.

So far I have sampled a couple of local products (Redback beer - yum, Hungry Jacks - yumless), and have been invited to a NYE party where I will know not a soul. An excellent exercise for my introvert nature...

Doggit

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think that a NYE party will be a great place to meet new people. A few Redbacks should help in that regard. Go out and have some fun. With the jet lag midnight will be like 4 o'clock to you so you should still feel fresh.

Sounds really cool to just hop on a bike and take care of chores like that.