Passport expiring in Feb 2016 - PR visa

JoByron

Good morning all :)

My partner's passport is expiring in Feb 2016. We are in Australia on a PR visa and don't intend to leave the country in the next 6 months.

My question is - does he have to renew it before it expires as part of any terms of a PR visa or is it only necessary when we leave Oz?

We would do it now, but the only place that does fingerprints in WA is in Perth and we can't get there until April school holidays...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jo and Byron

You do not need a valid passport to be in Australia, you only need it if you wish to go overseas... this I definitely know.

Just remember, once you get the new one, to advise immigration that your passport number has changed.... this may not be necessary.... I am sure others will advise if I am wrong.

You have to notify the department of any changes in passport details. I've just done mine recently.

Off the departments website

"Please use this form to advise of any change to your: address; and/or. passport details. Return the completed form to the office where you lodged your application or if your visa has been granted, to the nearest office of the department."

Here is the form

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/929.pdf

You can also send it in via email. Make sure you get a confirmation of receipt.

Edited by Peterthe1
Added detail

Hi JoBryon,

I just had the same situation. two of my kids passports expired last year while we are on PR. No need to do anything, but of course you cannot travel anywhere. If you dont need a passport, dont bother. You only need to tell DIBP IF you get a new passport, they need the details for their VEVO system and this is part of your PR obligations. Once you are a citizen and you apply for an Aussie passport, you dont need to tell DIBP because part of the process is to update your profile on their systems. 

When applying for Aus citizenship, Wont you of your kids required your valid South African passport for identification?

No, They have already been identified during the test, the expired passports meant nothing, it is still a valid form of ID.