Forex companies - advice please

SJVH

I've been battling to send funds to Aus via FNB's online banking platform. What is the next-best (or best) Forex company to use?

Spoke to FX Capital earlier - rate seems better than FNB and service has been good so far. Has anyone used FX Capital? I see some of their agents are active on this forum. 

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

• Like 1

We have used Tanya van der Westhuizen at FX Capital a few times, before that Exchange 4 free (when Tanya worked there) - very happy with Tanya. It is such a competitive market I think all of the active agents on here will be much better than what you are used to with the banks.

By the way, maybe FNB did you a favour, the ZAR is at 10.80 from 11.50 last week!

Edited by Gerhardk
Add exchange rate

Yes and no - I was ready to go at 10.42 when FNB's system failed the first time. Watched the Nene saga in horror and tried again at 11.10 or thereabouts. So they did save me, but only the second time around...

I accepted the job at 9.60. Ordered a vehicle around the same price... and stupidly didn't pay in full at the time. Fun roller coaster this, but quite pricey.

Edited by SJVH

SJVH there is always a 50% chance that it will get to 9.60 again. Like a share price (but opposite) I am not sure RSA is as bad as 15 to USD or that AUD should be as high as 72 cents to USD. Will I put my money where my mouth is, yes (I have Rand waiting to be transferred), had I been wrong before YES! Forex is uncertain, the only person that apparantly has certainty is the president - he could have made millions from his actions . . . maybe he did.

34 minutes ago, Gerhardk said:

SJVH there is always a 50% chance that it will get to 9.60 again. Like a share price (but opposite) I am not sure RSA is as bad as 15 to USD or that AUD should be as high as 72 cents to USD. Will I put my money where my mouth is, yes (I have Rand waiting to be transferred), had I been wrong before YES! Forex is uncertain, the only person that apparantly has certainty is the president - he could have made millions from his actions . . . maybe he did.

Sadly I think the fundamentals are not considered as important as the sentiment when the market looks at South Africa. SA is increasingly seen as a high-risk investment, and the broad fluctuations in the Rand (SA's share price) are the result. Risk = volatility. Agree that the Rand is undervalued, but with sentiment being the driving force in the market, you'd need big balls to back a return to 9.60 over further declines. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst; also have the proceeds from a property waiting to go over along with our start-up capital. So here's hoping you are right :)

11 hours ago, mlothian said:

Hi there.  

Rand Rescue offers very competitive exchange rates and n provide  excellent personalised service. Excellent communication. A pleasure to work with and go the extra mile.

Worth Contacting for a second option. 

No offence, but I find this hard-selling approach on a community forum a bit off-putting. I know you need to market your business, but when I see the difference between your edited response and the version in my email alert, it seems as if you are now posing as a customer / third party to bypass the advertising rules on the forum, when you in fact work for Rand Rescue and were pitching for business. If we can't trust that the recommendations we receive on here are truly from independent third parties, then there is no value to the information. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SJVH said:

Has anyone used FX Capital? I see some of their agents are active on this forum. 

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Yes, we've used Tanya for at FX Captial for all our transfers, excellent service, great rates and friendly support/advice.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

We also used FX Capital - great service at minimal cost!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gerhardk said:

the only person that apparantly has certainty is the president - he could have made millions from his actions . . . maybe he did.

Any person that thinks he didn't is very naïve. It's not only the president that is getting rich but the whole government below him is grabbing what they can.

• 1 month later...

anyone used Investec for forex transfers? I sent my private banker all their forms last monday, explained what / when we're leaving etc.. asked them to check that forms were correct.. our ZAR amount then showed as reserved (taken out of my available balance) and i was told me it takes 2-3 business days. Last night i noticed the money is back in my account (available balance) and am still waiting on a reply as to why.. am not sure if our forms were correct or what the issue is. What codes are people using, those who are still in SA but sending funds to their Oz bank accounts? If i have no luck with Investec by end of the week it looks like FX Capital is the next best place to try (from the above recommendations. 

Turns out they misplaced my forms. First time they've messed up in 20years so will forgive them thus time, luckily rate hasnt gotten much worse than last week at least 

Hi

I have done some investigations into moving money from SA to Oz and I think Exchange4free is the best option in terms of costing. I cannot compare personal service etc of the different companies as my sole aim is to have as many AUD on the other side as I can in a safe and guaranteed way.

I have opened trading accounts with both Cashkows and Exchange4free (Both cost you nothing apart from time and effort). Both companies offer much better rates than The big 4 banks (ABSA, FNB, STD and Nedbank). I then tested out how much i would get into my Oz account at the same time. By using Exchange4free I end up with the most amount of AUD in my Oz account than any of the other options.

Please note that the differences in the fees you pay are marginal, however if you plan on doing more than one transaction and large sums the marginal difference can equate to a few $$$.

Hope this helps!