Taking Things In And Out Of Australia

ORC

Hello all.

I hope everyone's having a good week and gearing up for a great Christmas (for those celebrating).

I'm headed back to SA for a short trip and wondering on the following:

Can I take chocolate in my hand luggage out of Australia?

Can I bring medication back such as allergex (used for sinusitis) and throat spray.

Reason for the second one is, you don't get those products here in Australia.

Do I need a pharmacy certificate and just take it in my hand luggage? What is the process when I return back to Australia. It's just one 50ml bottle and 10 tablets in the box?

Would appreciate your feedback.

Taking the chocolate out of Australia is not a problem, as long as RSA will allow you to enter with it. They are not bothered what you are taking out...

As for coming in with medication, as long as the medication is in it's original packaging and not banned in Australia, just declare it when coming in and the chances are they will not even bother with it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to get a pharmacy certificate if you can... in your hand luggage is always easier if you have to show it.

And if you are unsure about something, rather declare it. At worse you will lose some time, but if you don't declare something that you have to, they can fine you.

• Like 1

Declare, declare, declare!  most stuff is perfectly acceptable and no problem but RedPanda is correct, rather declare than get into trouble for NOT declaring.  And there is no reason not to take chocolate in your hand luggage - as far as Australia or South Africa is concerned.  It will be safer in your hand luggage when it gets to South Africa or some baggage handler might enjoy it as a snack :P

• Like 1

Remember to take Darrel Lea Liquorice as well for any SAffa fans out there - my dad used to dote on the stuff and would easily take 3 kgs of it and hide it away from everyone.

And, yes, Red Panda is absolutely correct.

• Like 1

Last time I flew to South Africa, there was no documents/cards/forms on which to declare anything - even if wanted to. Has things changed since 2013?

5 hours ago, RichtB said:

Last time I flew to South Africa, there was no documents/cards/forms on which to declare anything - even if wanted to. Has things changed since 2013?

Nope, arrived on Thurs. There were no cards and no people checking. RSA cant give a monkeys. 

12 hours ago, RichtB said:

Not for the better, that's for sure.