Crying over the Rand

Leavingforgood

It seems to me that everybody owes everybody else, and the debt just gets more and more, and the money that is borrowed is sponsored by the future, that just keeps on escaping the debt-collectors into tomorrow. ;)

But yes, maybe it is time to change one's assets to something concrete?

Oh my. Our savings are still in SA. We are flying in Feb. Really couldn't be worse timing. (SOB) :(

• Like 1

I would cut my losses and move money in any which way.....not sure if it will recover

With the Rand losing value at compound 14.4 percent since 2011, and keeping all things equal, it will cost 32 Rands to buy a Dollar in September 2019.

While 2019 is a long time from now and many things can happen in-between but never to ignore the signs.

What to do - depends on how much time you have left in RSA.

More than one year and you are in quality stocks - its too late to sell.; if in low quality stocks - sell and move into long term bonds or cash.

However better to signup for RCIS services (no I dont get paid to say this). They are about to start a international service operating from Cayman Islands.

More important - they about to launch there sharefinder program for the USA & London market (with the Australian market in the pipeline. I've been using that for more than 10 years and have a thorough understanding of their algorithms.

Did a bit of math this morning when I saw how far the rand has plummeted against the dollar. Its crazy to think but we applied for our 189 visa on the 5th of November 2015 and it cost us R56747.74.

As of this morning with the rand at R11.70 it will cost a whopping R6432.26 more than what we paid less than three months ago! At R63180 excluding the additional visa fee as listed below:

• Visa and MasterCard* - 1.08%
  • American Express and JCB - 1.99%
  • Diners Club International - 2.91%

Anyone willing to take a guess what a visa will cost a year from now?

Ps: I would be willing to pay double that if we can just get this blasted waiting game done with!

Today is my last day in RSA, just visiting. A few days ago I woke to an even weaker Rand/aus$ than before and forced myself ( I hate shopping) to go to a big mall outside Cape Town and stock up. It would have been almost stupid of me not to do so with the way the Rand is currently. Ironically, lots of the stuff I bought myself is from Trennary (spelling?) and other Aussie brands that I will now be "importing" into Australia. 

Interestingly, the year I left RSA for the UK, the rand vs pound was 7 to 1. I remember using my 7 x tables like crazy. Now its around the 24 to 1 mark. Madness. 

• Like 1