Is it Normal?? (10 weeks before we leave)

TashyL

The countdown begins: 10 weeks to go

Is it normal to feel like you are in a panic 24/7, have little to no sleep, and feel like you just cant breathe. Every time I think about what am doing, my heart skips a beat and then starts beating FASTER and FASTER and FASTER?? I randomly got bronchitis, a sinus & ear infection and an upset stomach and have been booked off for a whole week? I don't often get sick, so everything showed up at the same time, in this amazing heat!!!!! :wacko:

There is not enough time to do everything, not enough time to say goodbye. I brush away tears for the silliest things...at my friends baby shower I went off to the ladies just because I could not hold in my tears.

How have you dealt with the last weeks? I don't want to be emotionally drained, I EXPECT the struggle when I am there, but I still have everyone around right now. Am I loosing my marbles or is this normal? My hubby is so calm, he is just a breathe of fresh air ALL the time. No panic, no worry, NOTHING! I feel so silly. So emotional already...how will it be when I am counting down days/hours...I am freaking out....

Most people get some kind of anxious response before they leave, but what you are describing doesn't sound completely normal to me. Perhaps see your doctor and talk to them about this. I know there are various anti-anxiety medications available, and since you know what the cause of your anxiety is, and you know it's temporary, perhaps you should consider taking some. Just to get a breather.

Most people say they stress and have second thoughts, but you are describing shortness of breath and heart palpitations, along with what sounds like a lapse in your immune system. This seems a lot like acute panic attacks, and major stress. I would definitely see a doctor, and be totally honest with them about how bad this feels.

*Disclaimer: I am not a doctor ;) 

• Like 1

Breathe @TashyL !! As @RedPanda said, I am not a doctor (not the medical kind anyway) but you are taking a big step so don't forget to take care of yourself. Take a day off, go for a walk, remember why you are doing this and then remember to enjoy this part of the journey too. Hopefully it will happen only once and while it might be stressful, it is most definitely a part of the journey to remember as well. While you might feel there is not time to relax, trust me, you really will get more accomplished if you set a solid healthy routine.

To start you off, look into the Santa emoti's eyes for a minute and I guarantee you’ll crack a smile :santa:

Edited by CyberJoe
  • Like 1

I have been booked off for a full week, and part of my medication is prednisone, so I am hoping this is what is causing the heart palpitations. My immune system has taken a knock, and yes I am STRESSED...but I am also blessed ! I am leaving my parents who in the past 24 months both underwent brain surgery. My sisters just had babies, like brand new little people that I won't get to know and spoil and give loads of hugs and kisses. And my baby twin brothers who I love SO much!!

My kids are my EVERYTHING and we made this decision for them 1st and for us too. I was so excited all along but its all gone now. I don't doubt my decision, I am not questioning if I am doing the right thing. Its just VERY scary and I am stressing about not being here to help and support my loved ones.

I am always the one who will take the bad news ( Parents illnesses etc) and support them until they are ready to share with the rest. I am always the one to fight their battles and step in when things are going wrong. I have given all I can, and I still want to be here for them but I want to be there for my kids more! I have to let go, and I will...its just not so easy.

I know they will cope without me, but I will miss so much. I will miss them so much. :cry:

We have started planning the last family Christmas  and all the things we need to do together before I leave, and this is exciting and stressful at the same time. How do I create the perfect memories for my kids without them seeing how mommy's heart is hurting. What if this is the last I see of my parents? Can I deal with that?

Sorry for the long soppy story, I am just getting off my chest what I am feeling and it helps a bit. @RedPanda I will chat to my Dr and make sure I am taking care of myself. The last thing I need is to become depressed, and have anxiety when I arrive there.

I love the emoticons CyberJoe :yourock: 

• Like 2

Kids' memories are very forgiving, and they are tougher than their parents think ;) 

Baie Sterkte! I hope your christmas turns out really lovely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TashyL said:

Is it normal to feel like you are in a panic 24/7, have little to no sleep, and feel like you just cant breathe. 

I brush away tears for the silliest things...

TashyL, you have described me, but at a different stage of the process - waiting for the visa grant.

I was not sleeping at all, having panic attacks, coming down with recurring infections, and a blubbering mess. I would sit at a client, and the tears would just start flowing - no trigger, and no damned off switch either!

The last straw was when I realised that I was also biting off everyone's head, including staff working at a client, so on the Thursday before Good Friday in April this year, I drove home via my GP from the affected client. She put me on some meds just to get through this period. The irony is that we got our visa grant on Easter Monday, and now I will never know if the meds made me feel better, or if getting the visa settled all those anxieties. I would however just sit with your GP  - you don't want to assume that it's all stress related, and even chatting to him/her might help alleviate some of the symptoms, as you will come away realising you are not crazy, just human...... 

All the best for the last remaining weeks, and enjoy every Blessed moment with your parents. Wow, what a background story you shared, and hat off to you for your braveness......

• Like 1

So I decided to get out of my house for a day, I spent it at my moms. Still under the weather so I couldn't go out anywhere. I spoke my heart out and she told me how proud and happy she is for me. She shared her true feelings about the me leaving and we cried and laughed together. My best friend came over and had a long chat with me, and I got a whole lot of my "fears" and concerns off my chest.

I already feel a little lighter. I have the support I need from the most amazing people, who are strong in their faith, and who have walked a long journey with me. If God is for us, who can be against us?

Nobody said this would be easy, and I know for a fact it will be worth it.

Thanks @EmNew for your kind words :) it is good to know that someone else has found it a bit tough at some point and got through it.

• Like 4

I recognise all these emotions Tashyl but probably about 11 years ago when I left the UK to come and get married and start a new life in SA. I have done the same thing again with our recent move to Oz, albeit I am not leaving family behind but lots of friends who have been there for us through thick and thin. My parents were always very supportive about us girls living our own life. At the same time we knew they would always be there for us if we needed them. Your mum sounds the same. You will make a new life for yourself in Oz. I found the first few weeks of bring in Oz emotionally draining and quite stressful. Maybe it was the unfamiliarity of everything im not sure but like everyone said to us "give it time". I wish you all the best for your journey.

My husband leaves in less than 3 weeks - we have the container coming on Tuesday and a Moving On Sale on Wednesday. And yes, I am starting to panic. I will be staying here with the children for a while hoping he will settle soon (we will be with my parents though this is quite a trip too as they live far from where we are now) though we have to make first entry by early May at the latest. Neither my husband nor I are sleeping well and even if we blame the heat and the mosquitoes we know it is not just that.

I am trying to keep some order in our house - despite all the craziness and packing, the Christmas tree is still in a prime position. Even though the tables are covered in items to sell, we still have supper together and the children's bedtime routine remains fairly constant and they will be sent to their grandparents for a while when things are too overwhelming here for them as they are used to going there. As for me, when I am overwhelmed I take a bath (even if in very cool water). Cuddling my husband and the children has also helped and drinking tea or coffee and allowing myself to take time over it also helps. We have had loads of people around and sometimes I need a few minutes to myself too. Also just concentrating on one task at a time helps and trying not to think beyond the present too much except to be excited and hopeful.

• Like 1

amazingly you will look back on all of this and smile about it and delight in your new lives!  It is all worth it :hug:really

On 2015/12/10 at 5:16 PM, TashyL said:

The countdown begins: 10 weeks to go

Is it normal to feel like you are in a panic 24/7, have little to no sleep, and feel like you just cant breathe......I am freaking out....

I have got four weeks to go and there has been some anxiety. We are getting rid of everything except for a few boxes and the luggage we are taking with on the plane so the idea of wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch is at times exhilarating and scary as hell. Giving away fishing equipment that I've been collecting since I was 6 years old definitely left me feeling like I'd been kicked in the stomach for a bit. Also, better I don't dwell on the fact that in 9 days I will be unemployed for the first time in 17 years. *gulp*

But we will get through it because we have to.

In the past week, I resigned and spent some fabulous quality time with loved ones! Hubby and I got some us time, and I have been able to breathe, sleep and I also feel some excitement now that I have purchased our tickets and resigned from work.

My husband made a very good point when we chatted about our journey ahead....All you need is the clothing on your back and your family ( Him and Kids).

BrendanH when you leave I will be finishing up work, and I have decided to take a month to spend with my loved ones and to get things packed up/sold etc. We too are leaving with nothing. Everything will be sold or given away. Just our suitcases will be going with us.

The next few weeks ( 64 days) will have their ups and downs but I know I am doing the right thing :)

Moving house is rated as one of the most stressful life experiences you could go through - even more so when you are moving to another country! 

Everything will be OK!  Every time you are faced with an anxious thought or stressful situation, ask yourself:  What is the worse that can happen, and can I live with that?  It put things into perspective..  99% Of the things we worry about, never actually happen. 

What you're experiencing is normal - been there, done that...  At the end of it all, you will look back and realise that it was all worth it.

Relax, do yoga, meditate, take time-out, have long lunches and coffee dates with friends and family while you can, sit in the sun, breathe it all in!