6 weeks to go..panicking..rentals..cars etc

KirstyS

Please tell me this panic is normal?!?!

I arrive in just less than 6 weeks in Perth with my middle son. Panicking now. Our house isn't sold, we still need to sort and throw away stuff. The house is being packed up on January 4th! And we are both still working ..me until December 31st and hubby til end of January. 

Has anyone left SA with their house not sold? We don't want to rent it out due to previous bad experiences but I think we have 1 year to get it sold right?

Has anyone been able to get a rental before landing? 

I will have to hire a car..initially ..anyone have tips for buying a car in Perth?  any recommended car dealers?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Admittedly I'm going to Melbourne, not Perth, but I have been able to secure three months rent through Airbnb. We're only going to arrive there in May next year, but at least the first three months of accommodation are sorted. We plan on using that time to look for a longer rental deal.

Good luck with all the packing and sorting! 

• Like 1

Thanks RedPanda. I have 2 weeks booked through AirBnB ..but can't afford the rates for longer. I am trying to believe it will all fall into place when I get there but my OCD in planning is kicking in a bit :(

I can't help as we are only going in February ourselves (to Melbourne).

We booked 3 weeks through Airbnb. Will have a rental car for 2 weeks. The rest must sort itself out there. I love having lists and plans... but this entire experience feels like its getting more out of hand the closer we get. So my husband said to me last night: "You always said you wanted to go on the amazing race. THIS IS OUR AMAZING RACE." That made me feel better. Take it as it comes.

I absolutely think panic is normal. I hope your house sells asap, good luck.

• Like 5

kirsty it is completely normal to feel panic at this stage. You feel like there's so much to do and not enough time. You will be surprised though of how quickly things can come together. We originally went to Perth but ended up in Melbourne. Just take time to breathe. I only know of airbnb for accommodation or booking.com. Sometimes they can be cheaper. Worth checking. Check out the Perth community or use the search function for more info on car rentals in Perth or short term accommodation in Perth. ? Everything will be fine.

I know it's hard.  Ultimately Aussie gave you a VISA because you can pay your own way and not be a drain on the economy.

The trick is to be savvy.  You will learn how to do that once you get here.  For example,  you may find a place further out from the CBD that has good public transport links.  Sure,  sitting on a train for an hour to go to an interview sucks,  but you can make it work!

When you arrive,  go and meet the locals ASAP.  Join Facebook groups in your area.  I am sure some of the peeps here can suggest a few. Go to church,  mosque,  or whatever your religion is. Tell people your stresses. Eventually someone will put up their hand and say,  "I can help you with that". 

I always remind people,  the average Aussie is super busy.  In Sydney they have  1.5hour commute to work each way.  They still have to get home and look after 2 kids, get them to sports,  doctors appointments,  etc..  

So to make friends,  go where the people are.. 

Edited by monsta
Mobile Firefox doesn't work with the new editor control
  • Like 3

We left SA with our house unsold, and we found out the sale fell through 3 days before we left. It was stressful, very stressful. We didn't want to rent it out, also because of a bad experience. So the house went back on the market and it sold within less than two months. I remember thinking at the time, how on earth are we going to sell it from here etc. But it worked out, it simply has to, and people told me trust that things will work out, but of course I did not believe a word of that at the time.

We secured a temporary rental through Airbnb, but gave it up at the last minute because our friends insisted we stay with them. We arrived end of December, and started looking for rentals in January, which is a slow month as everyone is on holiday etc. We didn't find it hard to get a rental in Sydney.

So now I will tell you to not worry, because things will work out, which is what a lot of great people on this forum told me before i arrived, and with hindsight, I realize I worried about far more than I should have. But we feel like this because we are grasping within ourselves at a re-assurance that doesn't really exist, because we haven't yet gone through the experience.. if this makes sense. 

Good luck with your move!

• Like 3

We're just moving house in the same city and I'm freaking out as we sold our house and haven't secured another place to live yet!....  So, to answer your question: - yes, it is 100% normal to freak out! 

I always ask myself: what's the worse that could happen and can I live with that? It puts things into perspective a bit. We worry so much about everything and 99% of it never happens.  Just hang in there, close your eyes and jump!

• Like 2

Hi KirstyS, 

Yes, the panic is normal.....:blink::blink::blink: You are at the stage where you're willing the hours away so that you can get here, and simultaneously wishing you could add 100 hours per day so that you can ensure you get everything done that needs to be done! It is harder for control freaks, but there is only so much you CAN control in this process.

My advice / opinion - the big sort out is the most critical item, with your pack up and move being 4/01,  make that the 99% focus of your time and energy right now, and just do light research on arrival matters for now to appease your mind 

Have an arrival plan, so that you feel better about it, but be prepared to throw some of it ( or all of it ) out the window and adapt to each situation as it arises once here. Perhaps ensure your accommodation is on a public transport route, so that you have no pressure to get a car immediately.

With regards to buying a car - when you do find a car albeit through a dealer or private sale, used redbook.com.au to check that the price being asked is fair taking into account make/model/year etc, and always negotiate. Also state that the price you are offering is 'driveaway' so that you don't incur nasty surprise additional costs that you didn't factor into the equation. Can't answer as to who to go to Perth, but my 2 cents is to go to an authorised 'previously owned' dealer of a specific brand that you know/like, rather than trawling private sales or general second hand dealers. You may end up paying a little more, but it should be less stressful and give you more peace of mind.

Wishing you all the best in the lead up to your exit!

Thanks for sharing. I  am FREAKING out too - leaving 28 Jan, working til 15 Jan, leaving a child behind for 6 months, Dog issues with permit, so need to find him foster care until he can fly to Melbourne, house is in a mess (half packed/:censored: everywhere), car unsold.

shoo ok now i feel better. Good luck everyone, this forum is a life save, knowing we not in it alone.

Good day,

Anyone know of cheap accommodation (short term) in Brisbane for once we have landed? Thanks

KirstyS, when we arrived in Perth our friends took us to John Hughes car dealer but I ended up buying at another dealer. With hindsight that was a mistake, John Hughes has a great reputation in Perth. My last car bought private from a South African.

It is not a problem selling house from Australia, at most you may have to courier original signed documents to effect the transfer and estate agents can go on without you. You can take as long as you want to sell it, but there may be some tax consequences depending on time, your type of visa etc.

We arranged 6 weeks furnished accomodation in Perth from RSA waiting for our container then moved directly with our just arrived furniture into long term rental. If you have not found a place to rent yet then let me know. Lots of properties for rent available and it will be easier if you have an idea where you want to live (north / east / south).

Thanks everyone. I am just going to take it one day at a time....

Thanks for the heads up on the car dealer GerhardK! and EmNew for those websites!

GerhardK I have a short term rental, but not a long term rental. I have made contact with lots of agents but I have to be able to inspect the property, so will start setting up times just before I leave - am looking NOR Duncraig,Woodvale school catchment areas. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Kirsty

It normal to be feeling the pressure at this stage. It will all come right.

You could try contact a property manager that we use for our property , sorry but ours is not  available.

Her name is Ilze Roets email address is   ilse@propertyicon.com.au, drop her an email , she might have something that might be suitable.

Please let her know that Johan and Enrica Swanepoel gave you her email address. He phone number is Office calling from SA is    61 8 94085984

and her Mobile 61-439995096 

With regards to purchasing a car, contact George from Coast to Coast , he is a second hand car dealer but he is honest and very helpful, his number is 

Mobile 0405 104 538- He is based north of the river

His email address is georgerays@bigpond.com , if you have a car in mind , he can try and source one for you , so that you dont have to rent for to long.

Please let him know that Enrica and Johan Swanepoel referred you. You will not be sorry if you do contact him.

Hope that helps

Personally, I have had the distinct displeasure of meeting Ilse Roets and being in a house she managed.

When she takes over the house after you have been in it two weeks and the first mail you get from her is a demand to pay up the three weeks rent you are late with, it leaves a sour taste, especially when you have receipts for the prior two weeks and the letter was sent on the morning of the day the third week's rent was due.

When this was al shown to her, she did not apologise, she just said "yes, all right".

I mentioned about an overbearing agent on a Perth email list and one guy asked whether this person's initials were IR, whereupon he told a few horror stories and leaving the house as soon as he could, when she tried to stick the renters with the repair bill for a fence that blew down in a gale (homeowner's problem). I would never willingly even speak to her again.

She may be fine for owners, but so far (out of two), both renters hated her. Your call.

Is George an ex Zimbo who used to live on the Natal coast for a while, if so, I have dealt with him and got decent service out of him.

• Like 1

Hi Kirsty, We are also arriving in 5 weeks time! Looking to stay in similar areas to you too. We have a 6 year old daughter and 3 year old son, so feeling so anxious about getting everything sorted in time! Good luck with everything!

Jo

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, any suggestions on short term furnished rentals in Perth south of the river? Also trust worthy second hand car dealer, please?

3 hours ago, Marcodasilva said:

trust worthy second hand car dealer,

No such mythical animal in this world !!

When buying second hand go over chosen car with a fine tooth comb before committing to avoid getting one of the lemons that are out there. That said there are also a lot of good buys out there. Look carefully and you should be OK.

Edited by Peterthe1
Added content