In Sydney next week: hire a car?

ShravanSingh

Hi all

We are a family of 5 (3 kids age 7,5 and 2). We are thrilled to be just a week away from our trip, which includes stamping our passports for PR. 

We will be in Sydney from 10 to 15 December and then Melbourne for 9 days followed by Perth for 3.

In Sydney we are staying in Mount Street, Coogee at a place we booked through AirBnB. Do you think we need a car? 

We have been checking Bays water car rental vs GoGets vs just winging it. Any advice on the car and on things to do? 

• Like 3

You mention Melbourne, but you ask specifically about Sydney. Do you only want information about Sydney?

Hey RedPanda thanks so much for the reply. We have family and friends in Melbourne so I think are mostly covered on things to do there, unless there are things in particular you think we should note? 

Information mostly on Sydney would be great thanks 

Aha..ok. I don't know much about Sydney, but it has some forumites here that are absolutely gaga about it ;) 

Melbourne is my favourite.
If you like walking trails, go look at the Sherbrooke forest or the William Ricketts Sanctuary. They are very pretty.

So I'll leave it to the others to tell you about Sydney.

On 2015/12/02, 5:21:32, ShravanSingh said:

Hi all

We are a family of 5 (3 kids age 7,5 and 2). We are thrilled to be just a week away from our trip, which includes stamping our passports for PR. 

We will be in Sydney from 10 to 15 December and then Melbourne for 9 days followed by Perth for 3.

In Sydney we are staying in Mount Street, Coogee at a place we booked through AirBnB. Do you think we need a car? 

We have been checking Bays water car rental vs GoGets vs just winging it. Any advice on the car and on things to do? 

It depends on where you want to go? Both the 372 and M50 run from Carr St (a 6-min walk from Mount St) to Central Station if you want to catch the Train further afield, or you can take the 372 straight into the CBD. You can't easily take a rental car into any of these spots due to either lack of parking or crazy costs involved, but you can use a GoGet and park in the GoGet parkings. GoGet would be my choice over a rental car due to the flexibility it offers with parking/tolls etc.

I can give you lots of ideas of thing to do, but need more input on what you'd like to see/do or activities you like.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

I would rather use a car for those days as it is more flexible for sightseeing AND the car has aircon :D which will be a blessing in that hot Sydney weather.

GoGet is a cheaper option and has designated parking bays in certain areas so I would say go for that. Alternatively, if you want to get a rental, Bayswater is the best deal in town - in my opinion. 

Enjoy

Never had to travel with kids but I can tell you that the public transport system for sightseeing is absolutely fantastic! If you get the chance to use it on a Sunday you will be very pleasantly surprised at the cost. I think it was something like $2 dollars for the whole day as much as you want, as far as you want. Perhaps take the first day on public transport, if it does not work out for you, get a rental :D

• Like 1

I should have shared above we have kids ages 5 and 3 and they catch public transport with us all the time, you can sit up front and they have dedicated seating for parents and children. Most buses are air-conditioned, clean and are powered by natural gas.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

We were in Sydney in April and stayed in North Sydney. It was nice having a car to drive around and see suburbs and schools, however on many occasions we took the ferry and used the busses. We used no bird / bayswater and the car was very well priced and excess was the lowest out of all the car rental companies. 

• Like 1