First month in Perth

Leavingforgood

Hi everyone,

So, I arrived just over a month ago on a PR visa. Wow, what an amazing ride so far! I came over first to look at schools and areas to stay and eventually find a job. My wife & kids will join me in January, so my "work" here has been laid out months before I left lol. Registered for Medicare, activate bank account with Commonwealt Bank (recommend it to anyone), got TFN, converted drivers licence (20 min), got WA Police Clearance, did four basic tickets (first aid, working at heights, confined space entry and my white card). Got a church - Kinsgway Church in Darch, bought a second hand car from friends I met at church and got a job! And today heard that our application for a rental property was approved.

I must say that I am truly blessed to have all these things sorted out so quickly. God has provide just as He promised!

I met a great deal of people from SA, Ireland, England, NZ, Scotland and a couple of Aussies. Most people are very nice, friendly and extremely helpful. Got loads of advice from where to stay, where to buy food, furniture, etc, but at the end of the day it's about your own situation and needs. We first looked at SOR, loved it a lot, then I start to make friends NOR and got a job here, and I'm loving it.

My advice for anyone coming over soon is just to relax a bit more! Enjoy your family in SA or where ever you are and look at your move as an adventure. We stressed so much about so many things, but when you arrive, most things you've researched is or not true or not relevant. That is for the simple reason that everyone else's advise might be for their lifes. Advice is good, but it's not law or a guarantee that it will be relevant in your life.

It is so clean safe and friendly (well that's for me), easy to get around and the most amazing scenery.

Well that's it from me for now, hope everyone find it as trouble free as I did.

Cheers

Ockert

• Like 9

Great to hear you landed so smoothly. Now just the wait to have your family with you...

Thanks for the positive post! I arrive in 8 weeks with my one son. Have 2 weeks to find a car and rental! And then focus on getting a job. Definitely going to make the most of my last weeks here.

• Like 1

Nice to read of an awesome Perth experience We're newish arrivals in Melbourne, and are quite blown away by the general friendliness , helpfulness and politeness of people.

Hope the next 50 days go quickly and for you, and that it's a happy and smooth arrival experience for the rest of your family.

• Like 2

Great to hear that you are settling in well, what a bonus!

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive post! I arrive in 8 weeks with my one son. Have 2 weeks to find a car and rental! And then focus on getting a job. Definitely going to make the most of my last weeks here.

Bit of good news. Depending on where you're moving to, but up here in CQ there are so many rentals available that the estate agents are prepared to negotiate downwards on the rent just to get tenants into the property.

Yup 50 more days

If you were really excited, you tell us how many more sleeps it was. :) I jest, of course. Seems like you're doing well. I also came out before the rest of the crowd. If you are self-sufficient, it's a great idea, you can sleep in youth hostels or gutters until you find your feet, not so much with kids. (again I jest with a core of seriousness).

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the wife, on the other side of an ocean and a continent. @oubaasdik, indeed it has been a very good decision that hubby went over first, although there have been a number of days when I have called him and huffed and puffed why he didn't sort out his things (electronics and cables which are a mystery to me) before he left and I have to deal with the disposal and/or the packing.

The house is almost empty, and again I am grateful we decided I (and the kids) stay a bit longer to pack, so there has been no hurry for me to clean, dispose/ sale, pack and each weekend I do a room, as during the week I still work. I generally do not attach to things, but the packing has been extremely emotional down to the sentimental pots and pans which have brought me great joys in the kitchen (once I finally learned to cook and bake).

For those who are taking the same route as us, with one spouse leaving earlier than the other, some soft advice:

1. Find and ask for support, my family on both sides have been extremely helpful down to looking after the children and helping with a never ending garage sale (ignore any negative comments as they are running through the same emotions as you),

2. Trust your spouse to make the right decision - also helpful in these days and age is free communication (whatsapp, facetime) so you can bounce big decisions between each other,

3. Don't forget the parental affidavit, which we did!, and

4. Pray and have faith, His provision is all one needs.

• Like 5