Bridging visa?

Eyebrow

Just a quick question.

If one is on a 457 visa and just before it expires apply for a PR visa, but the 457 will expire in the time one waits to hear the outcome, what happens?

I understand that there is a bridging visa of sorts. Is this something you apply for, or does it happen automatically?

Thanks!

Just had a quick look and there seem to be application forms for bridging visas so looks like you apply. There is no cost *whew!*

You can also ring them on 131 881 to ask specific questions. They are there to help.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/make-enquiry

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Eyebrow,

As long as you submit a valid PR visa application in Australia prior to your SC457 expiring you will automatically be granted a bridging visa A (BVA) at that time.  This visa will come into effect if DIBP have not made a decision on your PR visa when your SC457 visa expires.  You will be able to remain in Australia on the BVA until DIBP make a decision on your PR visa application.

I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, SD_MOA said:

Hello Eyebrow,

As long as you submit a valid PR visa application in Australia prior to your SC457 expiring you will automatically be granted a bridging visa A (BVA) at that time.  This visa will come into effect if DIBP have not made a decision on your PR visa when your SC457 visa expires.  You will be able to remain in Australia on the BVA until DIBP make a decision on your PR visa application.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Eyebrow just another thing, if the PR app fails then the bridging visa also lapses, I think it was 30 days or something like that. Check on Immi's site. 

Eyebrow I was right, here is the text extract from my bridging visa below. 

About your bridging visa

This bridging visa is not in effect because your Temporary Business Entry visa is currently in

effect.

This bridging visa allows you to remain lawfully in Australia until 28 calendar days after

you are notified of a decision on your application for a Employer Nomination (class EN)

Employer Nomination (subclass 186) visa.

If your Employer Nomination (class EN) Employer Nomination (subclass 186) visa

application is refused and you apply for merits review of that decision within the required

timeframe, this bridging visa will allow you to remain in Australia until 28 calendar days after

you are notified of the review outcome by the merit review tribunal.

If the merits review tribunal remits your application to the department for reconsideration,

this bridging visa will allow you to remain lawfully in Australia until 28 calendar days after

you are notified by the department of the decision on your Employer Nomination (class EN)

Employer Nomination (subclass 186) visa application.

Perth Permanent Sponsored Entry

OFFICE:Ground Floor 836 Wellington Street West Perth WA 6005

POSTAL: Locked Bag Number 7 NORTHBRIDGE WA 6865

PHONE: 131 881 EMAIL: wa.pse@immi.gov.au WEBSITE: http://www.immi.gov.au

- 2 -

If you withdraw your Employer Nomination (class EN) Employer Nomination (subclass 186)

visa application or your merits review application, this bridging visa will allow you to remain

lawfully in Australia until 28 calendar days after that withdrawal.

More information about bridging visas is available at www.immi.gov.au/visa/bridging

One other thing Eyebrow, do not leave the PR app to the last minute, the Dept. warns people against doing this and it may affect the outcome. of course if you can prove you had not choice then I am sure it will be fine. 

Will only be in 2y 's time. But it will be close to the expiry. No choice.

• Like 2