What is a police Penal Certificate?

TashyL

Question

Hi Guys,

I submitted my police clearance as a police penal certificate! This was a complete error, I was supposed to select police clearance :( :(

I am so worried now, I don't even know what it is for. Will this impact my applications, I am so so stressed now!!!!

Should I just re-submit it as a police clearance and email them to advise of my error or wait?

5 answers to this question

Thanks Ladies, I google what a Penal Certificate is and apparently it is just another name for a police clearance. I looked at images of an RSA Penal certificate and it is the police clearance certificate.

@Odendaal, I did just add it now as a police clearance just in case.

I hope this is going to be ok.

Hi Tashy.

No idea what a penal certificate is but sure you can just upload the correct doc and mail your CO once they are assigned to notify them of the error. At least you finally received your PCC so that’s a good thing! :ilikeit: Sure they are used to people uploading the wrong doc under the wrong section, it is human error and could have happened to anyone.

• Like 1

Gwynn, I think Tashy just uploaded her correct PCC under the wrong heading on her immi account.

Tashy, I'm sure it's fine. I initially uploaded our marriage cert as a "change of name certificate" and then quickly uploaded it at a "marriage certificate" when I noticed my mistake. It really isn't a basis to refuse your application. Just upload it again under the correct heading. Either way, the CO will see both headings when they look at your application.

Hi TashyL, i would consider going to the Pretoria office straight and ask them to change it. I've been there a couple of times and seen people query errors on their certificate and got them changed on the spot.My fiancee's certificate got lost btwn the Police station and the pretoria office. We decided to drive to pretoria and sort it out. They just asked for the applicant's details and once they were satisfied that she had indeed applied, the lady just reprinted the certificate and got the officer in charge to sign off on it right in front of us.

From this i reckon they will be able to change your certificate instead of reapplying for a new one altogether unless the penal certificate and its related clearance procedures within SAPS are materially different from a regular PCC.