Cleaners - luxury or necessity?

Pell

I know we were all spoiled in SA with maids, gardeners, drivers, nannies etc (btw, I didn't have all that in SA, just in case someone decides I was too spoiled).

What Aussies don't understand - and they always seem to ask if I had 'cheap house help' *eyeroll* - is that we provided employment and actually looked after the families and extended families of our staff.

But that was way off topic: what I really want to know is, do you do your own housework, or do you employ a cleaner/cleaning service?

I know it's quite expensive here, but it's the same if you live in any first world country.

Do you find that it's worth paying the price, just to have some more free time, or less chores? I've been thinking about it, maybe not for while we live in a flat, as that is easy enough to maintain and keep clean, but for when we move into a bigger place. I'm thinking of doing every fortnight, as my family and I are pretty neat people, pick up after ourselves and are quite used to doing 'maintenance cleaning', which we used to do in SA as well as we did not have a full time maid.

I found it surprising how many people employ cleaners here, both Aussies and Saffers. What is your experience?

I have had cleaners for many years... I would rather pay someone to do the heavy cleaning... whilst I do something I enjoy!

My dear lady comes in every 2nd Friday, takes her 3 hours, and it costs me $75... way to go, as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

I've considered it, especially for ironing. The rate quoted was about $75 to do a weeks ironing for two people.

For now, I decided against it. I would prefer to spend that $75 on going out or on experiences (or even just savings) and do the chores myself. It's not that much of an effort in an apartment I guess.

Look it's not a necessity, but neither is good/delicious/fancy food. So I it depends on what you personally value. We don't have any staff around the house, eat basic things, wear cheapish clothes, see about two movies a year in cinema, don't smoke, don't club, our cars are 10 years old...but we go on holidays overseas, and both of us have high quality hiking shoes.

It's your choice what you spend your money on. Half the worth of things is only because of how much the buyer values the item or service.

• Like 3

You can absolutely do as you please, no opinion poll needed. I would however caution, like with anything not vital for survival initially, that you start off without, see how you go and if you can afford it, by all means do it. It always better to go up slowly, than go big and then have to cut back because you have overextended yourselves. I have cleaners coming every Wed morning while we are at playgroup. I work from home and have clients here at all hours, using my bathroom, sitting in my kitchen, their kids in my playroom, etc. To me its priceless.

• Like 2

I was never comfortable having a maid back in SA. It wasn't something I was used to, maybe because I am not South African. When my son came along I decided to hire a maid and it was great having an empty ironing basket, but I only hired her for 2 month as I couldn't get used to it. There I no way I would pay someone to do my cleaning here in Oz. It would be a luxury.That being said it all depends on your situation and you would be employing someone which is great for them.

I honestly think there is a huge difference between RSA maids and AUS cleaning services! (I could never think of them as maids)

We live in a large home, when I have done the cleaning, it would take me around 5-6 hours to get it all done. My wonder woman takes 3 hours and I often think she does way better than I ever did. Best of all is the trust... she has a key to our home, and comes and goes as she pleases. I have never had the need to lock up anything, or to worry about anything. She is the bread winner in their home as her husband is unable to work. The great thing is, we are actually friends, hi and goodbyes are usually with a hug, when we see each other.

• Like 1

$75/week = $3900/year. This is a fair whack of money when starting out. I've never had the need for domestic help. We both pitch in with the household work, that way it's quick and easy. We do a 4 bdrm house between 2 of us, no problem. The dog tries to help but doesn't do much good :jester:

Edited by Peterthe1
  • Like 1

$75/week = $3900/year. This is a fair whack of money when starting out.

As a comparison a packet or two of cigarettes a week is about $5,000 or more per year so smoking may become a luxury too

Edited by RYLC

Therefore give up smoking. I gave up 8 years ago and I'm not regretting it. Smoking will never be a luxury. Took me 28 years to realize that I was making somebody else rich by killing myself. Enough said.

Edited by Peterthe1

Fortunately mine is only every 2nd week and it is a necessity for me, not a luxury!

Mine comes twice a week and works like she is possessed. She is clean, neat, well mannered and a good mum. She and my wife chat for hours on end and I consider her family. Her son comes for homeschooling class with my goose every now and then when her mum cannot afford daycare. Because she is Kiwi she gets a 444 SCV, but cannot access any Centrelink benefits. I help her where I can. I can see she has been dealt a harsh hand by life.

I have paid her car rego, fixed it, paid for her little company to get registered and sorted with an ABN etc, and a couple other things. Her gratitude is humbling. Like I said, a good woman dealt a crap hand.

Edited by SurferMan
  • Like 8

The timing of this article could not be more serendipitous Aldi Study. If you want an Aussie take on this, go ahead and read it, it's a short article that just summarises the state and trend of house cleaning service use, especially in Melbourne.

• Like 2

Years ago my wife engaged a cleaning service and was told that a maid would appear the next day. I was working from home and refused to drop the work to "just do things in my idle time", so we needed a cleaner.

Anyway the next afternoon the maid arrived - being a huge Scouser wearing a singlet and sporting tats all up his arms and "very" hairy back. He also showed a fair amount of "plumber's cleavage".

He informed me that he had only recently arrived in Aus from the UK and was a qualified car mechaninc, and was doing this while looking for something more in his line.

He did a really good job, but after 4 weeks found a job in Adelaide and moved.

No point to the story, I guess, but just to say - do what feels right for you.

• Like 3