Perth public high schools

TinaB

Hi All

So we had a visit from a colleague's brother today and now we are looking at Perth as an option to live.

My son will be in grade 10 next year and I need to put him in a decent school but we cannot afford a private school, so I would like to know if anyone has suggestions of good areas in Perth that offer decent government high schools. PLEASE don't tell me about all the people who have kids in great private schools - I CANNOT AFFORD IT!!

Obviously if I had a wish list it would be:

near the coast (or a lake or water of any kind)

near public parks or walks or something

not a 2 hour commute to CBD (we don't have jobs yet, but obviously we may have to commute to the CBD)

near public transport

under $600 per week rental (I am happy to have a townhouse with no garden hence wanting to be near a park)

Not based in the CBD (preferably a family focussed suburb)

And near to good public schools (primary and high school but high school is more important)

Suggestions welcome!

And if you currently live in a suburb as above and have a child in public high school - even better!! :)

Before you finally decide on Perth, please ensure that there is plenty of work available in your areas of expertise... Please do not take someone elses word for it, that there are lots of jobs available, research, research, research!

Sorry, cannot help with your other questions as I have never lived in Perth.

You could try to get him into a selective school for year 11, as they need to write exams to get into selective schools. These are government schools, but to get in the child would have to sit an exam, as the academic standard is higher than that of normal public schools.When we were considering Perth, I was told that Perth Modern was really good. It's something i considered as well, since they do subject selection for year 11 & 12 here, not 10,11 & 12 like in SA.

Hi TinaB

Are you looking at a "good school" from a 'my child is going to university, so they need the "right" courses" perspective or is the community and pastoral environment more important?

What constitutes a "good" school for you?

I am happy to explain more about the schooling system and where the "good" public schools are if you want, so probably just pm me- don't want to waste people's valuable forum time.

Regards

D

Thanks all,

I should have mentioned a "good" school for me, is probably an "average" school for most. My son is NOT academic but he does want to do tertiary education. For now his preference is graphic design (not sure if this needs university or colleges or what used to be Technikon here???).

Personally I see him doing something more physical, like a PE teacher or sports coach or fitness coach. He's just started doing crossfit with me and he LOVES it, but not sure if this would be a career choice as such. I'd love to see him as a policeman or something but it's not my choice, so for now, he needs a school that will allow him to achieve decent marks (he's not stupid, but he is lazy), allows him to study something after school and gives him various sports and social balance. So, I'm not looking for a particularly academic school, or one that is completely sports focussed, or one that offers only trades. I'd like a nice average school that will help him achieve his potential both academically and socially.

Does that make sense??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there - good public schools, which would meet your wishes would be Duncraig Senior High School, Carine High School or also Churchlands.