Who is leaving SA in Jan 2015?

aappolis

Hi Forumites'

We are leaving on 30 Jan 2015, I am feeling a little stuck in getting our house in order, work and travel full time with not much energy left at the end of the day to sort things and donate/see. Basically im looking for tips/motivation if anyone on here is also leaving in Jan?

I'm not sure if im in denial or if it is end of year syndrome! We are however very excited about leaving, it just seems like a ton of time in-between then and now :glare:

I hope someone can relate!

T.I.A

Althea

we leave 16 Dec 2015! Still working full time. All we have is flights, 6 weeks accom, a choice of 3 schools - who all want us to choose now and pay!

Still need to -

clear cupboards

clean, clean,clean

sell car

sell furniture

find a home for my dogs

cancel insurance, medical aid, cell phone contracts, dstv

find new jobs for my staff

in fact I havent done much at all, but work is keeping me too busy and at night I am too shattered to do anything!

At least I am drinking my way through my wine stash!

• Like 3

Were leaving February 2016. :king:

Need to cancel debit orders, and help my part time domestic find a new part time job. Apart from that we are waiting eagerly for the time to pass~ :) best of luck.

For donations or items left to sell, check out "maak 'n offer" on facebook. I have sold most of our extras there.

Good luck with tying up the loose ends. :)

We're only leaving in May 2016, it feels like forever and tomorrow, because it's far away, but every time I blink another month has passed. We started with a 10 month countdown calendar that is now holding on precariously to 6 months.

Good luck to all of you packing up now!

Thank you all!! very helpful knowing im not 'alone'. @ SandraDee, I dont feel so bad now reading your list! Good luck with the last few weeks and im with you on finishing the wine stash, so much that i thought we leaving in Jan 2015!!! :D

Thanks Mel B, il check it out now.

Have a great productive week and for those leaving post January, dont let this happen to you lol -

We are leaving on 9 December 2015!

I'm still working flat out until 5 December, but hubby is now a stay at home dad/chief sorter and admin manager...he is doing a really good job!

We have cancelled all accounts, sold one car (one still to go), got rid of excess stuff, sorted clothes to donate and to take with us.

It is quite exhausting along with all the usual year end craziness!

We set daily targets....seem to help. Some days the tasks roll over to the next day.

We have a soft landing, staying with family , but still looking at schools and areas to stay in online to narrow down the choices before we become overwhelmed when we arrive.

Good luck to everyone on their adventure!

We are planning to leave around mid to late Jan 2016. The most important thing I need now is a VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once I have that, everything else can start happening.

we sold our house last year already so we've been renting and I'll need to give the landlord notice. They know about our plans so they should be expecting it.

I had people come around last week to "put stickers on" furniture and stuff. Most things have a home to go to now, and the rest will be boxed up and given to my brother in law as his mother hopes to ship himout of the house soon :)

I obviously haven't cancelled medical aid, insurances, phones etc. but I don't think this will be toomuch of a problem. Neither of us have resigned yet, so as soon as that visa comes, we'll do that and then hopefully have a week or so before we leave to do most of the last minute paperwork and selling.

We'll hopefully move out of the house by end December and then we'll go stay with my dad because I won't have the kids in school for Jan here.

We do have our luggage but that's about all so far :)

Nothing like last minute immigration - and for an OCD planner like me, this is torture!!

• Like 3

Myself and one son are flying out January17th. No family or job to go to. Have to get a rental ASAP for him to get into school.

I feel like I am kind of sticking my head in the sand. Haven't started sorting or clearing out but also because my oldest is writing matric so haven't wanted too much upheaval. House still on the market. That's a big worry. Both cars need to be sold. Working full time til the end so you are be alone. It's daunting. 6 weeks til the container is being packed ? I think I better get off the forum and start clearing out!

• Like 3

Leaving in Jan as well. So much to do. We have also just sold a car and we are trying to sell all our stuff and forwarding on a few boxes. Scary stuff.

We're also leaving on 31 Jan 2016 to Perth, tickets & 1 month accommodation booked ! just finalizing shipping of some personal effects then we can relax a bit before heading off - its been a hectic year !

Flying out 14 Jan to Adelaide.

Magna Thompson picking up our stuff 30 Nov.

One car sold, rent cancelled, 3 days then finished with work...............sad day....really enjoyed my stay at my current employer.

Then off for 6 weeks holiday, travelling around SA.

• Like 2

We fly out on 18th Jan for Adelaide. House sold, still have to sell vehicles though. CargoPak loading our container early Jan.

3 weeks accommodation booked & kids enrolled in a school... So all in all, not doing too badly (I don't think).

• Like 1

Now that we have our Visa's we're hoping to leave by March. :ilikeit:

Sold my cars already, so my wife and i are sharing her's. Our cat has had all her vaccinations etc and they're in the process of applying for her import permit. Had magna in for quotes to move furniture and advise us on what to take and what cant be taken so we've been going through cupboards every other weekend for the last few months to start preparing.

Our house has been on the market since September. Currently under a "subject to sale" offer, So once that officially sells we'll book our flights and book our cat's quarantine.

My boss has asked me to stay on until February to give him time to find a suitable replacement..

Its exciting and sad at the same time, but we're looking forward to our new life in Oz and am sure it will be a great place for our son to grow up... we cant wait to head off

We received our VISA last week, and have now decided to plan our move earlier as we expected to only get our grant by January. We have chosen to leave mid Feb, and although we are OVERJOYED, it is now a reality... its 2 and a half months to go!

We have a family member who offered accommodation until we find jobs, our house is sold. Our household items are priced and ready to sell. We move out 1st week of Jan and will spend quality time with our family thereafter. The other hard thing is resigning from a job I love SO much!

We're headed to Oz mid-Feb on a visa activation trip; however we decided to use that as our goal to clear the house of clutter in case we manage to find jobs and need to come home and pack in a hurry!  I decided to tackle the worst, 'hidden' clutter first - linen cupboards, garage, tupperware cupboard, toyboxes...you catch my drift :-)  Once you get going, you get into a groove - I started to relish chucking things or passing them on etc....I kept telling myself I was moving us closer to my "Pinterest" house :-) .  Good luck with the packing, and try not to leave it all till the last minute....in our case, we had a lot more to sort through than I realised, and it's taken a good long while to get stuff off to the people it needs to go to.

thanks so much for the tips! i am tackling it one room at a time and yes, didnt realise how much time it takes to clean individual items, pack and then re distribute - feels great though and i will certainly keep things simple even when we move into our house in Aus. 

Good luck and all the best too!

Althea

We'll be arriving in Sunny Sydney on 13/01. Our house has been sold, possessions are with Execumove almost ready to be shipped, all debts paid off and only one more car left to sell. We're as ready as they come, and our first month's accommodation is booked and paid for. Some days I wish I could blink my eyes and be standing overlooking the Harbour Bridge, other days my fear of the unknown has me thinking WHAT ON EARTH AM I DOING and I really wish time would drag so that I can fully appreciate the life we're leaving behind and close this chapter off in comfort.

• 3 weeks later...

Our house sold over the weekend (finally) :ilikeit: Just my wifes car to sell before we leave.

Booked our flights to Melbourne (via Sydney) through IOM (thanks for the recommendation) they were about 4k cheaper than Quantas direct for the same flights. Booked our first months accommodation via Airbnb (again thanks for the recommendation) and car hire to get around the first few days and explore the various suburbs that have been recommended. We arrive in our new home town, Melbourne, on 1st March :D we cant wait as that will be just on a year since we decided to make the big move. 

Now just to carry on cleaning items and getting our things ready to be packed and shipped over.

Nice time of the year to know everything is sorted so we can spend some good quality time with family and friends over Christmas holidays :santa: some are already talking about coming over to Oz to join us for Christmas in 2016 :ilikeit:

Thanks to those on the forum so far for all the tips and advise, it has been invaluable in our whole Oz migration saga :yourock:

• Like 3