On our way...

Atjan

Hello All,

We're a family of 5, living in Jhb, who are planning to head off to Australia in the next year or so, if we can get our stuff sorted out of course. :)

At this point we have gotten our passports, birth certs and IELTS test done. I'm an engineer and am hoping to get the 189 visa, busy with the Engineers Australia assessment. Have hit some hurdles....I'll ask some questions elsewhere on that.

I was very happy to find this forum and have already learned quite a bit just from lurking. Hope to get more involved and learn a lot more seeing as we're planning to do this without an agent.

See you all on the boards. :ilikeit:

• Like 4

Welcome and good luck!

I did our application without an agent, 189 for an electronics engineer, bringing my spouse along. It was very straightforward, and we got a direct grant.

I hope you have smooth sailing further on.

Welcome Atjan, may your journey to Australia be a smooth one!

Good luck, best decision of your life!!!

Harri

Ok...so the SARS plan didn't work. They only keep 5yrs records. Luckily got sorted on eFiling - tax assessments. Let's hope that will work.

Welcome and all the best with your journey.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of information here...

I got IELTS results last week,so will be getting assessment from Engineers Australia. I am still trying to sort out enough evidence to claim 9 years work experience. So far I have evidence for 6 years only... The other three are just a letter from employer, which according to EA needs third party backing. So still figuring out what to do.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of information here...

I got IELTS results last week,so will be getting assessment from Engineers Australia. I am still trying to sort out enough evidence to claim 9 years work experience. So far I have evidence for 6 years only... The other three are just a letter from employer, which according to EA needs third party backing. So still figuring out what to do.

My understanding from my interaction with the assessor on EA is that they want 3rd party confirmation that you earned in line with your responsibility for the years you want to claim. To me it makes sense that either a tax assessment or a bank account statement would be sufficient for that. Not sure if you are dealing with SARS at the moment, but I could still get 9yrs worth or tax assessments off eFiling yesterday. At the SARS office they actually told me they only kept 5yrs' records....go figure.

Futher to the letters and EA assessment. I wanted to kick myself when I had my letters in hand and the EA fees paid and I then read the immigration people's requirements. They want the same info EA wants, but a little more. I ended up going back to my references a second time with a new request.

My Botswana taxes record only goes as far as 2010. There was no requirement to file before then. So no help there. I want to use Pension fund documents, but I only joined in 2011. So thats only 4 years. Tomorrow I am checking with my medical aid,which i joined on day 1 of employment in 2006.

Will Engineers Australia accept medical aid records?

What extra detail will the immigration people require to prove work experience?

Great news Atjan.. another hurdle bites the dust! :ilikeit:

Breathe in, breathe out, fill it in slowly and carefully. And then click that button! ;)

(It took us about a whole evening, because I was too nervous to let hubby do it at super-speed.)

Haha, still hanging on a bit. Unabridged wedding cert is a bit of a challenge...

I saw a post somewhere that applications in Jan 2016 will not require certified copies of documents. Not sure if it's worth waiting for that though.

Well! The tax assessments seemed to have done the job - just got my successful skills assessment back! :king:

Congratulations. How long did the assessment take? Was it the fast track option?

Glad everything worked out great for you!