School times and After care

Pink

Hi Guys

I will be moving to Melbourne, eastern suburbs, hopefully around March 2016

My kids are 10 and 5 years old this year.

Please advise what times do schools start and finish?

Are aftercare facilities available and how much do they cost?

TIA

Schools start at around 9 am until 3:30pm but it does vary a little. Before and after care is available at most schools. It looks like it's around $25 per day but if you work / study / run your own business you can claim 50% of the fees back.

Yes, we paid $10 for before school care and $25 for after school care. You can claim 50% back, but we never could (long story and no longer relevant). The 5 year old will love it, and the 10 year old will complain that they are too old to be put with the babies!

Thanks Sibella and Sunnyskies

Feeling a litte less anxious about arrangements for the kids.

Any suggestions on areas to consider living in that are near good government primary and secondary schools?

Edited by Pink

Depends on what you are looking for in a school.

If you are looking for academic brilliance then you need to look for a select entry school - but generally the rent in areas with those schools is very high.

If you are looking for a good school without too many issues then provided the neighbourhood you choose is fairly middle of the road you should be fine. I would suggest that you also look at http://www.goodschools.com.au/ in relation to suburbs you are looking at and see how the school is fairing. The school doesn't have to be the best school in Melbourne, but you should probably compare how the school does in relation to the top 20 schools.

In terms of where in Melbourne to look, it is all subjective. Mara always puts Sunbury at the top of her list (its a much longer commute at a 40 minute train ride but great if you like to be more in the country, don't mind the commute and don't want to be in the hustle of Melbourne), Sibella likes the outer Eastern suburbs (also a longer commute, but it has the benefit of being really close to the country, closer to the beach than Sunbury and still relatively close to large shopping areas like Doncaster Shoppingtown (which is one of the best shopping centres in Melbourne), I like the Eastern and North Eastern suburbs (such as Ivanhoe, Eaglemont, Heidelberg, Eltham, Doncaster, Templestowe, South Vermont, Chadstone, Ashwood, Ashburton, Camberwell) and some of the South East suburbs, others like Point Cook (although I believe there is a school shortage in Point Cook). There are also some people out in the Western suburbs, but I think you need to choose carefully if you go west.

Thanks Sunnyskies

What's ur opinion on Donvale, Blackburn area?

Also looking at an area that has easily accessible public transport

Edited by Pink

Good middle of the road suburbs. You can catch the Belgrave or Lillydale lines from there and a relatively straight forward run into the city. Unfortunately both are beyond the tram line but I don't recommend the tram for long journeys into the city as its too slow.

Does the tram line run to the areas you mentioned earlier?

Also do you know if one is allowed visitors who would stay over for a month or two in a rental home?

Was hoping to get my mum to visit and help the kids settle in with the big move.

Edited by Pink

I wouldn't choose the tram as my mode of transport on a daily basis, my 15 minute train ride would be a 45 minute tram ride.

Their is no tram out to Ivanhoe, Heidelberg, Eltham, Templestowe - Ivanhoe, Heidelberg and Eaglemont are serviced by the Jolimont line, but no train into Eltham or Templestowe - there is a bit of a blank spot in the train line in that area. They were supposed to put in a train line but the State went through an economic crisis and didn't put it in. There is a pretty good bus service in those areas with a big park and ride close to Doncaster.

The no 48 tram line ends just before Balwyn north. The no 72 tram ends in Camberwell and the no 75 ends in Vermont South - that is probably the furthest out that the tram line goes in the east. But the train line will take you all the way out to Belgrave and Lillydale, with a spur servicing Fern Tree Gully. Train is definitely the way to go, it goes through Nunnawading, Blackburn, Mitchum, Ringwood and Heathmont. If you are thinking about going that way out then ask Sibella about the suburbs out that way.

If you are looking at state, proof of lease is most important, birth certificate and last school report. They will also want a copy of your visa grant letter and passport.

If you are going parish, add in baptism certificate and any certificates of sacraments your child has received.