Stretching the Dollar further

Bob

We all drive cars nowadays, so we all fill up on occasion.

The current price in Adelaide, South Australia for fuel is $1.34 for diesel and $1.43 for petrol (unleaded 91 Octane)

Fuel prices vary from State to State around Australia, as each State puts its own fuel excise on at the bowser, some States making the drivers pay more per litre than other States.

O.K. . . . . . so . . . . when we shop at the two major supermarkets in Australia, "Coles" or "Woolworths", once we have bought $30 or more of groceries, we get a discount fuel voucher of 4c off the bowser price per litre.

This discount voucher is printed on the bottom of the shopping receipt.

Keep this until you next fill up and present it to the cashier when paying for your fuel.

In my State of South Australia, the local motoring organisation (Royal Automobile Association) offers Gift Cards from Woolworths at a 5% discount. If you buy a $100 Gift Card, it costs $95. A $250 Gift Card costs $237.50.

This Gift Card can be used at Woolworths supermarkets around Australia to buy groceries at its full value.

It can also be used at any Woolworths petrol station around Australia to buy fuel at its full value, also.

I fill up at my local Woolworths service station with diesel at $1.34 pump price.

I present my 4c a litre discount voucher from the bottom of my Woolworths shopping docket, bringing the price down 4c to $1.30 a litre.

I then fill up and pay with a Gift Card which I have bought from my motoring organisation (RAA) at a 5% discount.

This brings the price of $1.30 a litre down another 5% to $1.23.5 a litre . . . . a total saving of 10.5c a litre.

Depending on your fuel consumption and fuel economy of the car, this can save hundreds of $$$$ each year.

Enjoy!

Edited by Bob
  • Like 1

If you're looking for best fuel prices, have a look at this app. It's pretty good and you can edit it yourself.

http://www.fuelmap.com.au/

Fuel prices here in QLD vary by as much as 15c/l Diesel in different towns with transport costs always being the excuse for high price. I pay 1.16/l Diesel at Woolworths in Gracemere and 1.35/l in Dysart, which is 300km away​

I live in Adelaide and fill up at Coles Express Kilburn. Yesterday I filled up diesel at $1.15 (pump price) less the coles 4c/l. From what I know, they are the cheapest in Adelaide. Costco is cheaper, but have to be a Costco member.

A little while back in Victoria the fuel companies appeared to switch to a new method of price cycling.

For example last Saturday mid-afternoon the unleaded petrol price increased from something like $1.15 to $1.39. If it follows previous strategies it will decrease regularly until it reaches which ever low is next decided.

It can pay to fill up when in the low part of the cycle.

Just did a quick search and found this discussing it https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/petrol-diesel-lpg/petrol-price-cycles

• Like 1

Wow, it's mind boggling how much the cities differ! :blink: