Hello from the North

PhatMyles

Hi all

I am a new member. My name is Myles. I am a Mining Engineer living in Botswana. I hope to be moving with my wife and two kids, who will be 5 and 2 at the time of applying.

I just started the process by writing the IELTS on 24th October. I am still awaiting the results. I am targeting a 189. I am doing the applications myself, no agent involved. I had done some extensive reading on the Australia Immigration websites, and was very confident, now having found this wonderful forum, I am sure that I can run with this.

So once I get the IELTS results, I will be getting Skills Assessment to Engineers Australia. I understand they have a fast track option, don't know how worth while that is. So hopefully I should be able to lodge EOI by January. Based on my experience and other factors, I believe I will lodge with 75 points, provided I get 8s in the IELTS.

The actual move will probably be in 2017 - 2018, when hopefully by then, the global mining industry would have recovered. I believe it would be great to have the visa by then, rather than try to get it then along with thousands of other Mining Engineers.

Anyway, enough for now. I am looking forward to a wonderful interaction on this forum with those who want to get there, and those who are already there, so that in the future I will be able to advise others as well.

Thanks.

• Like 6

Welcome to the forum! :king:

• Like 1

Welcome! It seems like you are well sorted, and actually quite relaxed. You are planning well ahead, I like that. ;) I did our application myself, 189 (Electronics engineer, with 65pts), and I had absolutely no problems.

Just make sure when you get your assessment form EA that you also get your experience assessed, since this seems to trip up some people. Aussie are very fussy about what they will accept, and you don't want to end up short after lodging your EOI.

But other than that, GO FOR IT!!! I wish you all the best. :)

Welcome, also remember to put on your to do list that you have to activate your visa, rough time frame is, within about 10 months of getting it.

Thank you all.

RedPanda I am getting my work experience assessed as well. It should get me 15 points. I am preparing the work documents now.

We had planned to spend the 2016-2017 Festive season in Australia for the visa activation. But I think its better to go either in October/November or February March 2017 so that I get to meet people and companies in Mining, who are potential employers. I know and have decided on the kind of job I would want to do, and I am working on a list of companies in Western Australia and New South Wales. Once I have made my 189 application I would then start making arrangements for a meet and greet.

I get too excited when thinking of this...

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea :)

IELTS results in, the provisional online ones. 9, 9, in listening and reading. 8.5 in speaking, and 7.5 in writing. (I should have written in paragraphs!)

Unfortunately, Good enough for just 10 points, and not 20. i will be sending out skills assessment to Engineers Australia next week. My total points will be 60 now, including 10 points for work experience. I will proceed to lodge with the 60 points, and when I get the second IELTS results, I will update them, and claim the 20 points for language. That will get me up to 70. Should be good enough.

• Like 2

You can probably just do a few practice write ups and compare it to what's available online, to see where you are going wrong. That should sort you out for a really nice score, considering the other scores.

I know its the issue with using paragraphs. i remember looking at the passage and thinking it even looked funny with no spacings. Just one thick passage on that paper. i even thought of re-writing it there and then, but knew that in the rush for time, I would end up making spelling and grammar mistakes, so i left it. I will be getting the official report form to see if by any chance someone hasn't reviewed to add on the 0.5 in the writing. I will probably schedule another test for January or february 2016. Will see how the skills assessment goes.

I know that some people on the forum have been successful with remarks, especially for Speaking and Writing. But some have not been. The remark is expensive and takes long, but less so on both counts than rewriting. Perhaps you should consider it, weigh up what you know about your test and essay, and then decide what to do.

Welcome and all the best with your journey, you really have done your research.

Welcome to the forum.

We have opted for the fast track option with Engineers Australia (but we are in a time crunch because of age) but already it has helped as 2 days after submitting we already a response back saying they needed clarification on dh's CDR. So I would recommend it.

I know that some people on the forum have been successful with remarks, especially for Speaking and Writing. But some have not been. The remark is expensive and takes long, but less so on both counts than rewriting. Perhaps you should consider it, weigh up what you know about your test and essay, and then decide what to do.

RedPanda I know its the paragraphs issue on Task 2 of the writing section. A remark is expensive, yet does not guarantee I will get an 8 in the writing. I will lodge an EOI with 60 points when the assessment comes through, and then write the test again in February, I believe I can then update my results with the improved one on the submitted EOI?

Welcome to the forum.

We have opted for the fast track option with Engineers Australia (but we are in a time crunch because of age) but already it has helped as 2 days after submitting we already a response back saying they needed clarification on dh's CDR. So I would recommend it.

Thanks Jaco Fam. It is comforting knowing that the extra bucks will help move things quicker. I just want a fast track because I am impatient generally. Once I amke a decision on something, I want it done quickly. Regarding the age issue, had I done this six months ago before turning 33, I wouldn't need points for experience! The age thing would have worked in my favour! I guess this also means that I need to get the process completed before 1st July, when they might change the rules to disadvantage me.

Jip, you can update your EOI until it expires or you get invited. If you think a remark will be unsuccessful, then your outlined plan is perfect. Good luck. ;)

I agree, we also want to get it all in before July since civil engineering is a flagged occupation. Dh is 41 so we only get 5 points for age so we really need the 8's on IELTS. We should get our results on 20 November.

Hi JackoFam,

What does "flagged occupation" mean? I am also a civil engineer...

• 9 months later...
On 04/11/2015 at 0:25 PM, PhatMyles said:

The actual move will probably be in 2017 - 2018, when hopefully by then, the global mining industry would have recovered...

When I wrote this last year, 2017 seemed very far off... I can't believe how far we have come since this intro.  

Leaving on Thursday for the activation trip!

• Like 4

@PhatMyles I know exactly what you mean. Were leaving in 22 days for Sydney and when we started the process a year or so ago, it seemed like the move was still far off! Now, the house is sold, everything we decided to take was placed in a move-cube and I am in the process of selling our cars. I cannot even begin to describe what a horrible feeling quitting my job without having another job prospect lined up was for me!

And yet... I am excited. We are excited. Good luck on your side, sure you will enjoy the activation trip immensely!!

• Like 2

@CyberJoe -> :lol: Yes, there is bacon in Aus!!! And it comes in more varieties than you could ever have imagined!
As to 'bringing it home'...we'll just have to see.

(Sorry, I've just read your member title...)
:offtopic: ...I get distracted sometimes..

Edited by RedPanda
  • Like 1