Preparing for school - Year 2 (English/Maths Resources)

dancealot

Hi

We are looking at emigrating next year as we have a PR Visa which will be coming to an end in 2017.

As my son birthday is in the beginning of the year and he is tall for his age and very bright. Already been bored in Grade 0 this year.

I am looking for mainly English resources that can assist on getting him to a Year 2 level which would effectively be what he should be going into next year. In SA he will be going into Grade 1.

Currently we have Reading Eggs which is great for recognition of words and starting to read, however that only covers a small part of the curriculum. Does anyone know of excellent resources that I could help him with in the afternoons/holidays to assist him in advancing to this level.

I seem to remember a post that said Maths is on a similar level, however English seems to be two years ahead in OZ.

We currently use Maths Buddy, (MathsOnline is the OZ version) to assist with Maths.

Any ideas will be welcome. In his current school they use the letterland system.

Thanks so much.

Hi dancealot

My girl is 7 and doing grade 2 this year. She was at an English ACE school but has been homeschooling with me for grade 2 this year through Brainline Learning World - the company that I work for.

First best place to start is looking at the Australian school curriculum outcomes, and compare that to our SA Caps documents. Its all online. That will give you an idea - it didn't seem to be a huge difference for grades 1 and 2 compared to SA to be honest. (There are some slight differences.) The Australian documents also show you portfolios of kids showing good, very good and poor examples of the work of children for Math, English and Science.

Send me your email address, I have many resources for grade 1 and 2 that I kept after using with my girl that I can email you - science, reading, math, life skills.

Check out the books Smart kids - you can order from take a lot. My girl enjoys working through them also. There are some books that include skills for grades 1-3 so you can assess how much to do without stressing your child.

However don't feel you need to rush your child, the school won't place him in level 2 if he needs to be in level 1. Level 1 is very important for acquiring good reading skills and basic math skills, you don't want to rush it. My girl was skipped from grade 0 to grade 1 after 1 term and although she is fine now, it did take an emotional toll on her for months.

Good luck! :)

Hi Mel-B

Really appreciate your response. Thanks so much. I have messaged you with my details.

It might depend on what state you go to but they are usually placed with their peer group according to age and not academic ability. What year and month was he born and then I can work it out for you?

Hi RYLC

Born March 2009 and we are most likely going to QLD. I believe he should be going into Year 2 next year.

Thanks so much.

My daughter (born Feb 2009) will be going to Year 1 next year. Decided to start her later and it has made a world of difference. I think the most important thing to look at is emotional maturity, the rest will follow.

It makes sense. I was most likely pushing too hard. We will probably do the same. All the best and thanks for the message.

Does anyone know of any good Australian homeschool curriculums for the foundation phase (Prep to Year 2)?