Hello

I tried many options of jackets before I found the combo that worked for me (I have a whole rack of different jackets, fleeces and the like to show for it).

I think you should invest in the following:

- a sleaveless fleece (aka waistcoat) - they are great for days that are a bit chilly but you don't want the bulk of a jacket and if it is really chilly you can wear under a jacket

- a woollen jacket from New Zealand - try Icebreaker (they have an outlet shop in Smith Street in Collingwood, which often has specials on). Why in particular a woolen jacket from New Zealand. Well, the Kiwis know about cold weather and so make their clothes to really deal with it. I bought a jacket that goes just to my hip, zips up and has neat little cuffs inside the sleaves. When I wore that in Melbourne (and it was the only jacket I used for about 3 years before we moved to Brissie) I could wear it in cold, storms, wind, and I would be just fine. I only ever wore my inside clothes on underneath and a light wool pashmina/scarf. If it is raining you simply hang it up in the open when you get home and the next time you put it on it is perfectly dry. May be a bit pricey, mine cost $300, but it was the best $300 spent as I wore it to the office and on the weekends, it wasn't too bulky (which the puffa jacket I bought from Kathmandu was), it never let the wind in (which my jacket from DJs did and so did a number of the fleeces that I bought, and it travelled to Canada with me in freezing temperatures and it was great. Also, even if it is not too cold (like the odd cold day in Brisbane) you don't overheat in it. OK, I know I sound like I work for Icebreaker, but it is a great product. I didn't have to bother with thermals or other ultra warm (ie expensive) tops, just a little $6 Target singlet under my top.

• Like 1

http://www.uniqlo.com/au/

Check out Uni Qlo, there is one in Melb. They have great down jackets of all sorts. I personally like the "vest" type, sleeveless jackets. Then you can layer jackets without restricting arm movement. I also like the colourful 100% cotton singlets sold by Target or KMart. It "ups" your normal tops to winter contenders. I also buy a lot of great clothes at Aldi. Often bamboo/cotton mixes.

• Like 2

I love bamboo mixes, they tend to be very soft. (Also, maybe I like them 'cause I'm a panda???) :D

So glad that you are seeing some sunshine behind all the clouds and shadows!

Another shop to consider in Melbourne for jackets is Rays - I was in the nearest one to us last week and they are running fantastic specials on leftover winter stock.

I struggled to find good winter gear at Cape Union Mart in September before we left, so I hope you will have luck in December, considering it will be mid summer in RSA...

I can however recommend the Columbia range of jackets that we got at Due South a few years ago - mine is a 2 in one, with an outer rainproof one, and an inner one that zips in as a lining and cuts out all cold, and can be worn as a stand alone jacket too - similar to the North Face one that RedPanda described above.

I am loving the public transport system here. We're on the Sandringham line , and it takes just under half an hour to get to Flinders Street. I love how quiet the physical trains are, as well as the commuters - hushed conversations and lots of people reading books for the duration of the trip. Yes, there is graffiti on the buildings along the tracks, but I have never really seen a pretty approach into a city anywhere in the world. Having not caught a train in Cape Town since about 1992, I cannot comment on how it compares to the trip through Salt River / Woodstock approaching the Cape Town CBD now, but I would imagine its a lot worse with litter, as well as graffiti....

I have only used a tram twice so far, but think they're great too. Love the convenience factor.

Try Internode for the internet / phone bundle - we just signed up with them , and there was no pressure etc

• Like 1

Oh, and another one.....

http://www.costco.com.au/index.shtml

What ever your opinion on America, bury all that and go. There was a similar place in RSA, when I was a kid (Makro?). Anyway, you have to become a member ($60 per year) and then you can shop till you drop. You can then take friends with you, as long as you pay the bill at the till and they square up with you later. Everybody does that. They are amazing for vacuum cleaners, chopping boards, dinner sets, food, nappies and just about anything you can imagine. They also have clothes, but sadly there is no changing rooms, so you become creative! In the winter I bought very flattering Calvin Klein legging jeans, 2 fleeces and 2 of those padded outer vests I seem live in in the Sydney winters.

Hi Emma,

Thank you for sharing! Its a great story and i do hope your husband will find his 'joy' in his new position, juts remind him, things take time and while it takes time, it is building character, strength and determination to live in a new Country.

We are leaving on 30 Jan and right now feeling a little 'stuck', the more i unpack cupboards the less it feels that im getting anywhere and now i realise how quick time is going.

Good luck and we hope to hear a follow up on your story :D

Althea

• Like 1

Coming from a place where your husband knew everyone and everything to a placce where he doesn't even know how the coffee machine works or what the procedure is for refilling the photocopier, as well as the culture shock and language / accent difference, of course he'll feel out of place - embrace change. (Or some other MBA management speech). :)

It DOES get better.

• Like 1

VicRoads was a pleasure to deal with, just make your appointment, arrive punctually (because they are) and make sure you have the required documents. Piece of cake! Also keep in mind, just in case they ask or argue, that RSA is on their second list of accepted licenses, as they recognise our experience but not our tests.

• 3 weeks later...

They're lovely! :) 

Since you were in Dirtbin (ok, Durbs by the sea), I thought those photos were of Tekweni itself, and wondered how you'd managed to get such clean parks and beach.

Mooi loop there in Durbs and return home safely.

• 3 weeks later...

Good day,

Please can someone maybe assist me with what we are allowed in the container, I have a step ladder and electrical tools which is obviously not brand new and has some paint stains etc. which I am battling to get off, all the tools and ladder are cleaned and washed, will this be sufficient or will they hold them back on inspection? Thanks

VanTonderFam,

Honestly it's hard to say what they will or won't hold back. We had stuff pass through we were sure might be held back and then other things like clothes and children's security gates that were quarentied.

Just clean them as best you can and if you have any doubts then leave them. I brought my drill and hand tools, left my sanders and saws because I was worried about wood/sawdust and have been easily able to replace them here with matching or better 2nd hand units from Gumtree and various Facebook groups.

Not sure that helps, but what worked for us.

Cheers

Matt

My husband cleaned all of his tools, to the best of his ability, and NZ is even fussier than Australia, there were absolutely no problems. Like Matt says, as long as they are clean it does not matter and paint stains are not a problem. It is dirty sand and cobwebs with spiders or other creepy crawlies that they prohibit.

• 8 months later...

This falls into the category of "Inspiring Reads"! :D Thanks!

@emmayenkanna

What a lovely, positive read. The fact that you have managed to start afresh twice is a testament to your resilience and do what it takes attitude. 

What a lovely story to read. Made me smile! Am happy for you guys. Glad its going so well and you are showing resillience..

• Like 1