Sunbury v Point Cook- quickest route to city

Sol1

Dear All,

I have only recently moved to Melbourne and have been offered a Job this week (some of you know I went on an interview). However, I am really torn between Sunbury and Point Cook. Mara- on forum- was really helpful in showing me Sunbury and it's suburbs and it had brilliant modern housing and parks (for children) and the city centre had a brilliant buzz about it. Mara has been an real angel in helping me out by showing me Sunbury. However, I also went down to point cook and was amazed at the housing prices- we were shown a 4 bedroom house that was 400 dollars- with modern outlooks.

Okay... both places are brilliant but my primary concerns right now are the following:

a. I will be working near the "University of Melbourne" in the CBD and am looking for the quickest route to get to the CBD. Whether that is through Sunbury or point cook only time will tell but any opinions from people who have knowledge of this will be appreciated. I will be travelling by Train and in Point Cook (if I ever settle there- will looking for a rental a walk distance from Williams Landing train station- to minimise the affect of traffic).

b. I am currently staying with friends and am under a bit of pressure to find a place of our own and restore some normality in our lives in a very daunting move. (OUR friends have been wonderful to us in every sense- including offering to help us set up) but we would just like to start our life now in our own place and get our journey going.

c. Any advice on how one gets from either point cook or Sunbury to the Melbourne University via train will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your advice in advance.

Kind regards

I suggest you download the Metlink app. It has a journey planner that works really well for these kinds of questions.

To answer your question as the University of Melbourne is not on a train line you have a two stage journey. First a train ride to North Melbourne station (25mins for Point Cook and 45 minutes for Sunbury ) then a 10 minute bus ride on the 401. That takes you to Grattan street in Parkville (slap bang on the middle of the uni).

Depending on where your office is it may be easier to train directly into the city, get off at Central and then take a tram (I think its the 72).

Pleased to hear you came right with a job. Well done.

• Like 2

Sunnyskies has given you good advice.

Also look at Essendon, Fitzroy, Maribyrnong, however, these are older suburbs with older homes, if you want modern and spacious for $400, then I am afraid it is going to be further out.

• Like 1

I suggest you look closer to the city, it's worth paying a bit more to have a closer travelling time..

• Like 1

I live out Frankston way. We were advised to live in the south east by many people. But to have a house we could afford, we had to live far out. My journey to the main office door to door takes an hour. Because it is public transport, there is no "shaving" time off your commute due to "creative" driving....

Parking near my work is $40+per day. Thats in an open lot in the sun. (Well, its Melbourne, so perhaps "whole day sun" is not strictly true or even possible ;-) ) so driving is too expensive...

I thought it would be ok, but add 2 hours to your day, and suddenly life becomes very hard. I regularly have to work until 18.30. Then i get home 19.30. It is very exhausting! Your commute is important!