Adelaide : The quality of Secondary Public schools in the southern part is tragic!

DanielK

17 hours ago, RYLC said:

Kings Baptist is very full and difficult to get into.  Even siblings can't be accommodated at the moment. Torrens Valley Christian School is at Hope Valley and was started back in the eighties by some NGK Saffas.  There are a number of Saffa families there even now and The School of Languages holds its Afrikaans extra curricula classes there (after school). They also have a few Afrikaans staff members (who teach in English obviously).  I usually read the newsletters of a school from their website to get a feel for the place so maybe that will help you too.  http://www.tvcs.sa.edu.au/newsletter/

Thank you very much @RYLC. We did visit Torrens Valley when we were there as well. Are you in Adelaide?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 2:08 AM, Riekie said:

Daniel, I see you are still in South Africa.  I went through the same stress about schools prior to leaving, spending hours researching schools and trying to find the best one.  In the end, all that time and worry was all for nothing as once we were in Australia, it was clear that the school system here is vastly different from the school system in South Africa and that you’d struggle to find a really “bad” school, even with the lowest of “scores”. 

Get yourself here, and then visit the schools in the area you decide to settle in and take it from there.  Your child will excel in any school environment in Australia as long as he is socially and emotionally content at the school he is enrolled in.  Parents are very competitive about schools their children go to and to be honest, the kids don’t care – they just want to be happy where they are. If you have a little genius, he’ll be a genius anywhere – trust me.

University is the greatest equaliser – I’ve seen it myself first hand:  kids who excelled in the best schools suddenly faced reality and the pressures of an environment where no one is special – and they struggle or give up or change courses or defer their studies.  On the other hand, kids who had to work harder and make more of an effort in public school which may not have had all the latest and greatest or the best teachers, take it in their stride as it’s just another day for them. I’m not saying that if kids go to the best schools, they’ll fail at university or that kids who go to the lower end of schools will outperform everyone else.  I’m saying that regardless of which school your child attends, they’ll have an equal opportunity to excel at university and in life.

My advice to you would be to stop stressing.  My daughter attended her local public school, and went on to university to study forensic science, where she outperformed almost everyone and she is now in her dream job doing exactly what she wants to do!

Thank you for the amazing explanation.

• Like 1