2 months in Sydney :)

NickiD

What a great post! We're two months in and I'm definitely feeling a little lonely and sometimes a bit sad...we have two kids at school-going age, so it makes meeting people easier, but they're definitely not yet "our" people, and understandably so! Definitely doing our best to blend in - 12 month lease signed in Sydney's gorgeous eastern suburbs, a couple of regular beaches fast becoming g our favourite spots and we're learning more about being Aussie's every day :) I am working full time which is a huge change as I was working from home in Joburg and much more involved in our kids every day afternoon lives, but nothing is set in stone in terms of work, so I'm not getting myself too stressed out about it. My husband is doing amazingly with his law degree conversion - studying and sitting exams 17 years after finishing up at varsity is not for ants! He's hopefully going to enter the job market soon and any contacts that anyone has with lawyers or law firms who'd be willing to give an experience commercial litigator some time to gain Aussie experience would be most welcomed! Australia is an amazing place and I'm SO grateful to be here!!!

• Like 4

Thanks for posting NickiD. Always nice to hear from people a few months in. May I ask what age your kids are? I would probably be in the same boat as you with me having to go back to full time employment when we arrive. I work mornings only from home at the moment so can spend the whole afternoon running after the kids. Mine are 9 and 12 years old

Hey! My boys are 6 and 4, so a bit younger thank yours. The little one is at daycare and we fetch both of them at around 5/5:30. It's a long day but they've gotten used to it now :) When are you arriving and where are you planning on living?

We are still in the process of applying for our Visas so its long term thinking right now! But I do want to be prepared. We will settle wherever my husband finds a job. He is hoping for Brisbane as he has cousins there. My sister lives in Sydney so I would love to settle there but I suspect we might end up in Canberra which are where the majority of jobs in my husbands field are

What a great post! We're two months in and I'm definitely feeling a little lonely and sometimes a bit sad...we have two kids at school-going age, so it makes meeting people easier, but they're definitely not yet "our" people, and understandably so! Definitely doing our best to blend in - 12 month lease signed in Sydney's gorgeous eastern suburbs, a couple of regular beaches fast becoming g our favourite spots and we're learning more about being Aussie's every day :) I am working full time which is a huge change as I was working from home in Joburg and much more involved in our kids every day afternoon lives, but nothing is set in stone in terms of work, so I'm not getting myself too stressed out about it. My husband is doing amazingly with his law degree conversion - studying and sitting exams 17 years after finishing up at varsity is not for ants! He's hopefully going to enter the job market soon and any contacts that anyone has with lawyers or law firms who'd be willing to give an experience commercial litigator some time to gain Aussie experience would be most welcomed! Australia is an amazing place and I'm SO grateful to be here!!!

Nicki,

You're doing just fine! Look how far you've come in the short time from our first fateful meeting just after you arrived, rain and all.

Even after a rough start with Centrelink (I think it's all resolved?) you plowed through. You have a job, a car, a home, the boys are in school/daycare and are doing so well, Hubs is through the worst of his studies and exams and you've just got to celebrate a little mans first birthday.

Work here is tough, no mater what that looks like: full-time, part-time or as a primary caregiver. You've lost your support network, your friends and family and the are inundated with new customs, people and even simple things like grocery shopping can be overwhelming (which is why I suggested staying away form massive malls in the early days). You can't expedite these things, just take each day at a time and build on that foundation.

We are coming up on a year and the growth we've had exponential and accelerated growth in it feeling "normal", we have 10-months on you, imagine where you'll be then!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1