Becoming An Aussie

RYLC

So many of the slangs/abbreviations are so similar to what we got used to in the UK - we lived way up North too, which had even more than the Londoners!

So hoping we should actually understand the Aussies mostly :lol:

• Like 1

How ya goin' means how are you, not how are you getting somewhere

This one's a biggie and got me initially - next thursday literally means the next thursday or the thursday coming not Thursday week.

• Like 1

The way I understand it, how are you going is somewhat the equivalent of "howzit".

One of the other things I find to be very similar is the equivalent of the Sandton kugel here. You know the stereotypical Sandton housewife? The housewives of the posh suburbs here (ie, northwestern suburbs/Nedlands/Dalkieth in Perth or southeastern suburbs/Toorak in Melbourne) all have the exact same characteristics, right down to the accent and the hairdo.

And then you have the wannabes too... who are also the same!

The ladies that do Kath and Kim do a really good parody of these people ;)

• Like 1

You know you're an Aussie when you can recognize some of those presenters - not all of them, for goodness' sake - who has the time and lack of taste to follow all the crap?

• Like 1

Love the gold coin story! :)

This weekend I was at an organized weekend get away. The itinerary said dinner at 6pm and supper a little later on in the evening. I was confused and asked an Ozzie lady. She explained that supper was like dessert. I learnt something new this weekend .... Oh, and I had a smoors for the 1st time - I never knew you added chocolate:D

Oh and an Aussie will say, "I might go to the shops this arvo, I am out of milk".

When they say, " might" they mean they probably will, they just aren't making any guarantee of sorts. As if I am going to be heartbroken if the guy doesn't go to the shops?!?!

"this arvo" means this afternoon. Aussies shorten everything.

Oh and if you are good mates with someone, you call him by a nickname and insult him a lot. "Hey, Stevo, ya lazy bastard! get over here, you might want to see this"

Being a "genuine, stand-up bloke" is the kind of high praise, they will usually only give out at a funeral. You can even "bank genuine" at Suncorp bank ;) And of course Gilly stars in the advert. (Gilly is short for Adam Gillcrest, there former wicket keeper)

Oh and "footy" referrs to either Aussie rules, rugby league or rugby Union (ie Super Rugby)

Edited by monsta

Well Monsta, then in our world here in Victoria, "footy" only refers to the AFL!

My manager asked if I had my 'sunnies' for our team-building event on Friday. I wasn't sure if she was referring to sunscreen, sunhat or sunglasses. So asked. Turned out to be sunglasses :blush:

Oh and if you are good mates with someone, you call him by a nickname and insult him a lot. "Hey, Stevo, ya lazy bastard! get over here, you might want to see this"

Yeah I've noticed they do that with each other quite a lot... even going as far as to call each other the C word... which is hilarious. lol

That phrase sounds absolutely rediculous when a South African tries to say it like an aussie though :jester:

Well Monsta, then in our world here in Victoria, "footy" only refers to the AFL!

Same for WA.

Talking of shortening things - a few years ago a mechanic wanted to tell me my car's "shockies" were "stuffed", which I took to mean the shock absorbers needed replacement.

Australia has become so multicultural - especially in the cities - you definitely won't stick out like a sore thumb. In my workplace only about 20% of the people were born in Australia - the rest come from allover the world. You can sometimes be the only caucasian on a bus or in a train carriage. You pick up the Aussie way as you go and quite a few words in the Aussie vocabulary become part of yours - whether you want it or not, before you know it, you'll say "no worries"! :ilikeit: Just be open-minded, considerate and don't feel shy to ask if you don't understand WTH they're talking about. It's often cause for a few laughs, but they laugh with you, not at you and they appreciate when you make an effort to "get" them.

• Like 5