House/Contents and Car Insurance in Australia

Belindaf

Hi

Any recommendations on this, there are so many companies out there, quite overwhelming/challenging knowing which is best, value for money when you don't know reputation..... got all quotes in. Any ideas on this, in terms of experiences with companies. Thanks so much.

I use coles insurance for cars and house (buildings and contents). They are very competitive and always open for haggling :ilikeit: . (Their call centre is in Durban co-incidentally). I play them against SGIO every year upon renewal.

Just some outside the box thinking: In our 15 years in Australia we have never bothered with contents insurance. We have savings if needed but in all honesty if the place burnt down or flooded we would not replace everything. We would only need the basics and we have enough savings for that. The truly valuable stuff such as photos and momentos are irreplaceable no matter how much insurance we may have. In the case of a burglary: they are in and out pretty quickly and take mainly electronics, cash and maybe jewellery. So the usual Saffa methods of having a unique hidey hole for these works well and again we have money to replace electronics if needed.

Now building insurance is a must as is comprehensive car insurance.

We are with AAMI... house contents and building.

After getting quotes from Woolworths and Coles for my car, my Commonwealth personal banker got me a much cheaper quote from the bank. Woolworths does however have an offer on at the moment of a $100 gift card if you sign up for their car insurance.

Now building insurance is a must as is comprehensive car insurance.

What about personal liability insurance for a private person? In SA there was usually a component included in home contents insurance.

Tiermelk, I have been with various companies here for householders and home insurance and yes, there is has always been a personal liability component in the the policies I have had.

:blush: ..what is personal liability?

:blush: ..what is personal liability?

To cover you if somebody visiting your house trips over and breaks their arm etc.

Wow...Ok.