Two year update

sianvz

SianVZ,

Congrats on your new milestone, we will have been here a year next month and completely resonate with you thoughts and feelings and have found them invaluable in our own settling process.

Wishing you both the best in your new home of Melbourne.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Was wondering where you had got to only a few weeks back. Did your hubby get a wine related job in the end? Or was it all change for you?

Great to hear you're settling in and enjoying Melbourne. It's not a bad joint.

Melbourne Rocks ♡♥♡

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!

@rozellem: My husband is still in the industry but not in production, he's working as a consultant for a company who supply wineries with equipment etc which is something he had been wanting to do

• Like 1

Thank you for the post. :ilikeit:

It's encouraging to see people liking Melbourne. We have decided to settle there next year when we go over, but I know a lot is said about the 'bad' weather. Still, I think we'll like it too.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your journey. Glad to see that it's worked out so well. We've only been here in Melbourne for 2 weeks, and it's starting to feel like home already.

Now very inspired to check out more of Victoria, thanks to your beautiful photos.

• Like 3

Wow thank you so much for sharing! I always enjoy reading the different experiences of those that have already landed in Aus.

Such incredible images, Aus is seriously beautiful - can't wait to explore!

• Like 1

This was such a lovely, authentic post, thanks!

• Like 1

@RedPanda - I was so worried about the weather because of what people said but I can honesty say that I love the variety and have not found myself complaining once. Maybe we've been lucky over the past year but we've found it to be a very moderate climate and I actually prefer it to WA weather. Four proper seasons means you get to enjoy the best of everything ?

@EmNew Getting out and exploring is the best thing to do. My top picks are sunrise at Bell's Beach, coffee in Sorrento and a wander down the main street, if you head East to the Dandenongs you can hike the thousand steps then go for afternoon tea in Sassafras. The photo of us in the snow is in Warburton, just 80km from the city.

All the best with settling in!

• Like 1

We did the 1000 Steps this June, it was beautiful! And although it was busy, the people were all so polite. That area stole our hearts from the first time we stayed there in Jan 2014, and being there again just confirmed it. We hope to live there when we move over next year.

Also check out Ricketts Sanctuary, it's very beautiful, although maybe don't do it on the coldest day of winter like we did...lol

Thanks for the encouragement sianvz!

@RedPanda Will definitely check it out thanks! Friends of ours just bought in Upwey, just at the base of thousand steps, gorgeous area!

• Like 1

What a lovely post, thank you.

We loved Melbourne on our activation trip but I must admit that this Winter (back in SA) I was watching the daily weather in Melbourne and it was mighty cold!

So glad to hear you're settling in :)

Thanks for the post and well done on finding home!

I love Melbourne and will be settlign there after a year in Radelaide.

Great tips too! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

What a great post! We're two months in and I'm definitely feeling a little lonely and sometimes a bit sad...we have two kids at school-going age, so it makes meeting people easier, but they're definitely not yet "our" people, and understandably so! Definitely doing our best to blend in - 12 month lease signed in Sydney's gorgeous eastern suburbs, a couple of regular beaches fast becoming g our favourite spots and we're learning more about being Aussie's every day :) I am working full time which is a huge change as I was working from home in Joburg and much more involved in our kids every day afternoon lives, but nothing is set in stone in terms of work, so I'm not getting myself too stressed out about it. My husband is doing amazingly with his law degree conversion - studying and sitting exams 17 years after finishing up at varsity is not for ants! He's hopefully going to enter the job market soon and any contacts that anyone has with lawyers or law firms who'd be willing to give an experience commercial litigator some time to gain Aussie experience would be most welcomed! Australia is an amazing place and I'm SO grateful to be here!!!

@nickid - Glad to hear things are going well. The loneliness feeling does wear off slowly as your new surroundings become a bit more familiar. I know what you mean when you say "our" people. My husband struggled with that part, he often said he just feels like he's got no sense of belonging here. It's taken us about 2 years to feel like we understand Aussies and can relate. Completely random suggestion but you guys should watch shows like "Have You Been Paying Attention" and some Aussie comedy shows, we've found it really helps get in touch with the humour and lingo. Work is such a help to get settled! Today is my 1st anniversary in my job and it's given me a real sense of belonging and purpose.

Good luck with everything!

• Like 1