Selling Car- Best Options & Places

Manav

Hi Forums peeps!

First of all I'm sorry if i'm repeating this post/thread again and there is already a thread for such queries.

I will be moving out of South Africa within a month's & a half time from now to OZ for better prospects and for a new career. However shifting from a settled place is never an easy option, as a lot of things needs to be sorted out before you can actually move out.

With regards to same, I need to sell out my car 'Honda Ballade CVT Trend 1.5' that I bought this year Jan'15. The thing is I have financed the car from Wesbank, so I owe the settlement amount as well. So what would be my best take/options here to take the plunge & sell out the car? Where can I get the best price for my car, so that I can pay the least settlement amount to my bank? Any advice or pointers would be really helpful at this moment.

Please keep in mind that since I'm not a native SA, and been here for only 2-3 years, selling out my car through various e-selling (Gumtree, OLX, etc) websites sounds very scary. Preferably, a dealer or something else that can be trustable for the whole transactions would be much better!

Manav

Hi Angus,

Thank you for the link. In fact in the morning the first thing I did was to contact them, however they are giving peanuts for my car. :angry2: . I will try to look at some of the dealers may be.

Thx btw.

Manav

Hi Angus,

Haggle with the dealers - go to a Honda dealer and don't accept the first price they offer. They will offer rock bottom - we had an offer from a dealer and after some phone calls back and forth the price went up by R15 000!!

I did hear that there was a special register site being set up on gumtree for car sales where only registered buyers could contact you - it was underwritten by one of the big audit firms. Not sure if that has taken off yet, or is still in development. It was to avoid the risk to the seller as buyers would have to pay and provide details in order to access the site.

All the best - hope you sell it quickly

Hi Emma,

Thank you so very much for the valuable input!... I'm indeed considering the Honda dealer option. However after your advice I will passionately negotiate the price with them, as you are absolutely correct, they are offering peanuts. :-). I will also consider trying other Honda dealers as well, coz the one that I tried was from where I bought my Vehicle.

Manav!

• 3 months later...

Hello all. 

Question may have been asked already.

Has anybody taken a car over to Aus from SA? I've researched it on the Interweb but would be better to hear from someone that has successfully done so. 

Regards

Gaza

I did a search for you Gaza, in this link there is quite a bit of reading for you to do... the general consensus is that it is probably just not worth it!

http://www.saaustralia.org/search/?type=all&q=importing+vehicles

Cheers and thanks Mara. 

Thats pretty much the same content I viewed. I did also find a post relating to the same query later after posting my question.

It does seem to be a costly excercise. Will need to think carefully about it. 

Take care. 

I can recommend webuycars.co.za. i sold one of my cars to them last year, very professional service and really fast, I had money in my account the same day. Unfortunately they do low ball you, you can get more money if you sell out of hand but that takes time so if you are in a hurry then this is a good option.

• Like 1

Cheers thanks for that TC.

Selling it won't be a problem, it's a bit of a sought after car to the right enthusiast(yes I'm a car guy sadly), so I would love to take it with me. But I'll need to look at it from a practical point of view versus

sentimental.