My feelings on expat bashing by other South Africans

ProudlySouthAfricanInPerth

Hi,

I thought I would share this post I wrote a few months ago. Everywhere I turned I was reading yet another article bashing us expats and saying we weren't allowed to say anything negative about SA. It was really driving me nuts!

I had not long before started my blog and the response I got was amazing, from the haters to people emailing and messaging me to say thanks for writing it as I summed up their feelings so succinctly.

I hope some of you will identify with what I wrote.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jordy
  • Like 1

Ahh girl,

Pull a penguin and "just smile n wave boys" I am regularly lashed for my biased view and yes for the record it is biased. but like yours it is a view nonetheless.

God bless

Surferman

• Like 1

Thanks Surferman. I know it doesnt change the way people think about us expats but i felt like i wanted to just voice my feelings and get a different point of view across. I had so many people message me, both family, friends and strangers contact me to say how much it resonated with them and thanking me for writing it. but of course you always get those who turn it into 'us v them' and some people even made it a racist debate! oh well, cant agree with everyone but at least we should be able to respect other people's decisions!

• Like 1

Reeva, a very interesting post and also enjoyed reading the many different comments and views! Everyone has their own experience!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

If someone gets kicked off the forum, do their posts remain? Are they searchable?

yep, the stuff is all still there, it is all pretty negative and depressing and Australia bashing though, so don't bother

Well, I want to know how 'good we're having it'. So I need to do some digging...*starts scratching around the nearest log* :D

• 3 weeks later...

My brother in law got a sponsorship for Oz a few years ago...he lived it here and was encouraging everyone and their uncle to move over.....he got fired from his job and it suddenly his view of Oz changed..Lol its expensive...ozzies not friendly...people etc etc people don't want to see the good in things because they don't want to.