A Happier Life...

bgn3103

My husband and I went over to Australia in September last year for the first time, what a wonderful experience. If we did not have to return to SA we would have happily stayed there. We hope to make the move in the next few years, our daughters are all in university and finishing their degrees is a priority right now, but their intention is to go over to live as soon as they can. We sent them over in March this year and their reaction to Australia was as we expected. They know that they don't have a future in SA which is so sad, but at the same time all we want is for them to live and work in a county where they are safe and appreciated.

We hear of so many people in SA making the move, and while we are envious of these lucky people we are also so happy for them knowing that they are going to a place where life can be lived.

• Like 4

I hope you've done some research on whether your adult daughters would still be able to apply with you as a family. There is a cut off point where they would have to apply as individuals. Please look into this.

• Like 1

Our son was as Uni when we applied for our visa and because he had always been a dependent he was able to be included BUT if he had taken a gap year instead of going straight from school to further studies, we would never t have been allowed to come in on the same visa. So please ask your agents for good info. We have settled so well in Oz because our Kids came with us-otherwise I think it might have been soooooooo much harder. Good luck !

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that if you could get a 189 visa, covering the whole family, it would be valid for 5 years, which should cover any uni degree at least for Bachelors.

Definitely get the info asap, and then plan accordingly.

But well done on sending your children over for an LSD trip, it does so much to open the mind and allows for critical evaluation of the living conditions in RSA.

• Like 2

Thank you so much everyone for all the valuable information, a lot of these things you just don't think of, so it great to have feedback from you all. We are going to wait for our daughters to graduate and possibly work for a few months before they start applying to Australia. We would like them to all go and get sorted out first as they are our main priority. Fortunately they have all chosen suitable degrees so hopefully they will all be able to go. They loved that life there is so free and that the people are all courteous and respectful. I have to admit that I am a paranoid parent and do not let them drive at night and always make sure they check in when they are not home, it's not the life they should be living.

While Shaun and I really loved Perth, two of our girls really loved Melbourne - any suggestions as to where it would be best to start?

• Like 1

Kudos on the paranoia, especially since you'll just be here for a few years not forever. No point in taking risks.

I really think you should book an appointment with an agent or talk to one of the agents on this forum like TeeTMI. Just to make sure that your long term plan is feasible and that you will be able to get the whole family over, and that it doesn't cost you more than it has to. Better armed with all the info. And then you can wait for the right time, knowing that you have a good plan. (Just my thoughts)

Re Perth/Melbourne, it's a tough one. But you kinda have to choose the one or the other, since they are very far apart and relocating between them can be very expensive(Other people have talked about it on the forum). The one advantage that Melbourne has over Perth is that if you do need to relocate you can choose between Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Canberra, all much closer than Perth. I would recommend that you read the wikipedia page on each of the major Australian cities before you start looking seriously at one or the other. They give a surprisingly good summary of the history, feel and economic activities of each city, for example that Sydney is excellent for finance jobs, Adelaide is excellent for technology R&D, Melbourne is a good mix of both...etc. You can also do a seek.com search for the jobs that your daughters will be looking for and that will give you an indication where they will be more likely to find work.

But since it looks like you still have some time to make these decisions, read up as much as you can. And let the girls do their own reading too ;)

Bgn3103,

Aussie is like anywhere. If you want to make it work, you will ;)

The trick is to learn how to beat the system. For example, taking a job on the outskirts of Melbourne or Sydney, even if it pays less, might be wise as you can live in a cheaper area. I.e. Rather than being a big bank accountant in the CBD, you might be the accountant at the local car dealer. It could save you an hour a day in commuting. And living far from the CBD will save you a pile of money on your rent payments.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

We are going to wait for our daughters to graduate and possibly work for a few months before they start applying to Australia. We would like them to all go and get sorted out first as they are our main priority.

I don't know your circumstances but...

As pointed out by others above, as long as your daughters meet the definition of 'dependent' then you could include them in your visa application now. There are a number of potential benefits to this. If you wait until your daughters graduate then they will be required to apply as individuals.

As individuals daughters would then need to meet the skills requirements (some occupations require 1+ years work experience, so your daughters may need to work more than a few months to meet the requirement).

Currently, it would cost them at least twice as much to apply independently than as your dependants, plus there would be their skills assessment costs as well.

Whilst you would need to validate the visas within a time frame, you would all have 5 years overall in which to make the move - so once you have your visa you could still stay in South Africa whilst your daughters complete their education.

The visa requirements change every now and then, if you are eligible now it is worth serious consideration.

• Like 4