Mr Price in Melbourne - October

Sassyninja

Pretty exciting! ...

"South African label MRP is set to open its first ever Australian store. And Melbourne, you're the lucky ones.

MRP is sure to hit it off with the Melbourne crowd given that it's South Africa's most-recognised and coolest brand and Melbourne is, well, Melbourne."

"MRP is one of South Africa’s most popular low-priced fashion retailers and a successful online store which ships worldwide. The fashion retailer has been hailed as having an ‘infectious brand personality’ with over 440 stores, mainly in southern Africa."

“While initially we will focus on our MRP apparel stores, there is potential to follow with our MRPHome and MRPSport divisions. The stores are expected to carry women’s, men’s, and children’s clothing, accessories, footwear, and sleepwear.

"It's set to open October 22 this year, with the store taking up a whopping 1000 square metres of Melbourne Central Shopping Center. And it's set to hold one hell of an opening party."

• Like 3

Perhaps they are trying to ride the "country road" into Australia :)

I am referring to a shop, "Country Road" that is owned by South African Woolworths. It's quite successful here, but out of my price range.

Woolworths even bought the much larger, "David Jones". That's the Truworths of Australia. Only the stores are 2x the size.

With household debt at extremely high levels (due to people breaking themselves to buy a house) and the mining boom being over; perhaps now is a good time for Mr Price.

The "Ikea of fashion", uni qlo is doing well and the American Mr Price, H&M is always full of people in my area at least.

Those are both relatively new to Aussie. So, hopefully Mr Price can have similar success.

• Like 1

Wasn't too impressed with the quality of the items when my wife was in RSA 2 years ago, even for budget items they were pretty bad, hoping there prices are good for a reasonable quality item when they get here

The "Ikea of fashion", uni qlo is doing well and the American Mr Price, H&M is always full of people in my area at least.

H&M is Swedish. I'd put them at a slightly different market to Mr Price - not as "budget", more focus on fashion.

Looking forward to Mr Price home and sport coming over - I need to top up on running socks! :D

Yip, Sweden. In the UK many people still refer to it as Hennes ( pronounced like Hennie's). Love that shop.

Our agency are doing the launch branding for MRP Home in Aus, so it's definitely happening *inside info*

Have not heard re: Sport yet!

• Like 1

I have to say that the quality of MRP is questionable at best so unless it's very reasonable, I won't be rushing over in a hurry

Pricing will be equivalent to SA prices, so in the Aussie shopping world it should be a steal! I haven't had a problem with MRP quality, only thing I won't buy are shoes. But my little nephews whole wardrobe and a lot of mine is also from there.

@Stace - my husband also will only buy his boardshorts from there - says they tend to last longer than other stores'. I battle with the sizes but enjoy shopping for my kids stuff online because then I can choose from the whole assortment.

• Like 1

I can tell you from my time in logistics that Woolworths and Coles have put a lot of companies out of business or have forced them to shrink.

They once lent my company a few hundred of the same model microwave to test some equipment we installed for them. They literally walked over to another building and fetched a few.

We did one warehouse where they can load over 40 trucks at the same time. That's on a par with a reasonably large warehouse in China. Aussie has less than a 10th of the Chinese population!

I guess the only foreign companies (who don't pay everyone an Aussie salary) can compete. It's all about economies of scale.

Edited by monsta

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne Central / 22 Oct 10am

Eastland / 29 Oct 9am

First 100 customers will

receive a free tote bag

and $50 voucher.

• Like 1