Buying new appliances etc in Oz?

Shehraan

Hi everyone, I am not sure if this has been asked before and I do apologize if it has but if one were to move to Oz without bringing along any appliances and furniture, how much do you estimate it will cost to purchase everything there?

I know that there are many different brands and it is dependent on taste and individual preference but if one to go with a brand of decent quality how much will it set you back? Just a rough estimate

Thanks

• Like 1

I think this one will probably be very difficult for someone else to answer because we don't know what you consider 'everything'. You might be better off just doing a virtual shopping spree online and check the prices of the items and brands you want to buy. The internet has made a lot of things a lot easier to do or find out from this side.

Happy shopping..click click.. ;)

• Like 1

I realized that it might be a bit of a difficult one but thanks for this Mara, really appreciate it.

Will definitely do a bit of online browsing to see the costs of things. Mara, can you maybe point me in the right direction in terms of brands? Like which brand in Oz can we maybe compare with a Russell and Hobbs? Or which brand is of good quality on the appliance side?

Thanks again

Russell and Hobbs you get in Australia. Washers and dryers - Samsung, Miele, Fisher and Paykel, LG, Westinghouse, are probably your most popular. Then for fridges and freezers, I would say probably, Samsiung, Fisher and Paykel, Sharp, LG, Westinghouse. Something else you may want to google is the "scratch and dent whitegoods" it may have a slight mark on it and then they sell it highly discounted. Also google online sellers of whitegoods, they will deliver to your door, often cheaper than the stores.

• Like 1

Shehraan, you are going to buy a few items, you should pay for www.choice.com.au. They are a product review magazine, but you can access it all online.

They will go and try out a dozen vacuum cleaners or a dozen fridges and they will tell you which one is best.

We trusted their recommendation on a baby pram. We have been very happy with it.

Sure a subscription to choice will seem expensive, but if you are buying $1000s worth of stuff, paying $50 to get a good second opinion on the stuff is well worth it.

Edited by monsta

Hey Shehraan,

Another thing to think about is, rent in shopping mall in a big city is expensive! So, if you plan to live in Melbourne or Sydney, don't expect to go down to the local Bing Lee at Westfield Chatswood and get a good price. Bing Lee will negotiate, but not if you are comparing them against online stores. They dont match the prices of online shops.

Their competitors, "the good guys" have fantastic online only specials. You will need to get onto their e-mail list.

I buy all my stuff through www.appliancesonline.com.au. I know a lot of people who do. I used to work in logistics and appliances online are quite large. They also include delivery in the price you see online ?

Sure, I can't see the item in person. But I trust a review from choice far more than my 5 minute inspection of the washing machine :)

Just buy a measuring tape and make 100% sure the appliance will fit in your apaetment...

Edited by monsta

Hi. Harvey Norman are running a special on a 8.5kg Samsung Front Load washing machine for $699. It's a good machine, I've had mine for 4 years with no problem.

A bit off topic but I was quite gob-smacked to see in David Jones yesterday that the Woolworths Studio W clothing was mostly double the price of the South African Woolworths. A shirt that I paid R350 for in RSA was $99!

Just do not shop at David Jones or Myers, except when their sales are on!

• Like 1

Sort of on topic......

If you have a laptop and just want to replace the power cable that goes from plug point to power brick so that you plug into an Aussie wall socket without an adaptor, don't spend a fortune on a new cable at a chain electronics store. Look for a second hand PC shop / repair shop and pick one up for a fraction of the price.

• Like 2

Thanks EmNew, we will definitely have to do that!