2 months and 10 days in Australia

JoByron

So Byron and I have been here in WA for just over 2 months now... and it has been quite a whirlwind!

We are lucky enough to have Byron's mom and step-dad here supporting us.

We have been living with them and borrowing their car, being fed, etc.

As teachers, we have found it quite tough to secure jobs in Oz so far.

We had the opportunity to teach in the outback - 55km from Meekatharra in an aboriginal community. What a shock to the system that was! With no support, being sworn at by the kids and pulling kids apart who were punching each other, we made the difficult decision to resign from that dysfunctional setting and we have moved back to Bremer Bay.

Bremer Bay is a tiny town on the coast with just over 300 people living here and a popular holiday destination.

On the bright side, Byron has finally secured work 2-3 days per week and I am starting to pick up more work as a relief teacher for schools in the area. I have made an effort to volunteer at the local school and this has helped me tremendously with getting my name out there. The principal at the school has been incredible, helping me to write a cover letter that will potentially get me shortlisted for a full time job in 2016 - holding thumbs! :cowboy:

The salary for teachers here is about 3 - 4 times the salary I received in a good school in Cape Town. However, food is about double the price and rent is anything from $300 - $500 per week!

I am keeping positive, after all it has only been less than 3 months.

Things will start to pick up soon and we will be able to afford our own car and house!

:ilikeit: Good luck to everyone who is on their own journey settling in to their new "home" xxx

• Like 12

Shame Im sorry it's been a little bit of a bumpy start, all part of the adventure I suppose.

Definitely just hang in there, it won't happen overnight and will be so worth the wait and finding the right thing for you both.

Wishing you all the best!

Great to hear from you two ! I have been wondering how things have gone since the meet up in Kirstenbosch back in April.

Glad to know you have an amazing support structure around you while you find your feet. Hope that the work situation improves. The outback experience sounds ghastly , although not unlike some experiences recounted by friends teaching in the UK.

All the best from us, being totally new arrivals having landed Monday night in Melbourne. With Soon2beOz heading here in December, that will mean half the meetup group will be In Aus

• Like 3

Em! WHERE are your pics? I know it's probably the last thing on your mind as you start to plant a few roots, but pleeeease try share some sights (the real stuff, markets, where you're staying, whatever you like). Hope it's all going swimmingly!

• Like 1