Bungling on

BrendanH

So I had my first technical interview today and I allowed my nerves to get the better of me.

As a software developer in South Africa my last two technical interviews consisted of 20-40 random questions of Google trivia, 10 questions on Generics, delegates and OOP principles but this one was a simple write a mathematical function, wrap it in a class and use it to extend an existing class (In this case using extension methods - the syntax of which I completely forgot. Do'h!).

I am not sure if the difference in the way technical interviews are conducted is a regional thing and I would be interested in hearing about whether anyone else has had a similar experience? This technical interview was actually sane compared to the other ones I've sat through here in SA.

I did get absurdly nervous and I am afraid I bungled it a bit so I am not expecting to be invited to a second interview which is unfortunate. I think the complete unknown and how much is riding on getting a job got into my head a bit. The sleepless night tossing and turning certainly didn't help.

But I will try to stay positive - My first job application resulted in an interview which so I must have done something right.

Anyway. We live and we learn.

Also, I know a lot of people say that it is hard to get a job from South Africa but you still need to try. If you have the right skills, create a resume and apply. If you don't play there is absolutely no way that you can win.

Edited by BrendanH

So you are in South Africa and they interviewed you over Skype?

Did they just ask you to take a test on a webpage?

Sorry mate, I don't know how to answer you without some basic details ?

So you are in South Africa and they interviewed you over Skype?

This. Had to write some code in a text editor.

Be carefull there. There are companies here who will test 20 people and properly interview the one with the highest IQ. Amazon are particularly bad at that.

I would be asking myself how many other people did they test. If it's too easy for them to give out a link to the test site, or to leave you to write a test over Skype, you need to wonder how many other people they have "interviewed".

If they got in the department manager, three other developers to interview you. Then you know you had a 1 in 3 chance.

It's well known that those programming tests show very little about your ability to develop code in a team in an office. Google even look for interpersonal skills first and foremost, before they look at coding ability.

I have taken one of those online tests before. I did it just for the experience. But the moment they say take a test or we will get one of our devs to interview you over the phone, then its not a real interview, is glorified screening. I know, I have made plenty of those calls to would be candidates.

Remember here, recruiters don't interview you. They often know nothing about the profession you are in. So companies take it on themselves to screen candidates. My previous job did. Myself and another dev made the calls.

Im actually going to go with the complete opposite of what Monsta said.

I wouldnt work for any company that DIDN'T screen their employees. And I dont think the amount of candidates interviewed has much bearing on what the company is like to work for.

I certainly wouldnt work for anywwhere that didn't have some for of technical assessment, whether thats in the form of a test (the well known ones that have to be paid for like KPM etc) or a technical assignment.

Thoughtworks, Expedia, Atlassian etc (generally acknoweledged to be some of the best IT employers in Australia) all have technical components to their interview process as well as extensive cultural fit components. Both elements are equally important. Some have developers interview the candidate in a round table way without managers present to get a feel for company cultural fit. Amazon has been given a bad go in the press in the USA lately but personally knowing people who have worked for them both in Seattle and Australia they are a good compnay and if you perform well and are technically compatent.

I think "coding" / logical technical interviews are far more telling than asking some one to parrot repeat answers to technical questions.

BTW What languages do you work in primarily?