1 week in... My point of view.

ORC

Hi all

I thought I'd share my experience. Single with no dependents and I came to Sydney on my own.

Day 1: Landed, Airport was pretty much like a standard airport, got my visa stamp, took a cab to the hotel where I stayed which was quite pricey but they are all standard charges.

Day 2: Pretty much walked all day, exploring the CBD. If you like food, you're spoilt for choice and if you want cheap food, chinatown. It's safe. Australia have strict food regulations from what I've been told so it's all good. Loved the friendliness of everyone and everyone just wanting to help.

Day 3: Applied for jobs, started hunting for an apartment. Hunting for an apartment in my opinion is more difficult than finding a job due to the demand for property here.

Day 4: All jobs I applied for called me back for interviews. Went to pick my excess bags up at U-Bag.

Day 5: Explored the city and surrounds a little more, got a cold.

Day 6: Explored Chinatown some more. Didn't go out too much as trying to recover.

Day 7: Chilled. Still recovering.

I'm almost better thankfully but I love this city. Friendly people, diversity, multi-cultured, people want to help, I love that everyone just wants to do well and be awesome :)

Tips: if you can bring your own medication, I thought I wouldn't need it but it would have come in handy. That said, I would have needed to adjust sooner or later. I'm using Uber X and the Free bus to get around, know what transport options there are. It may be expensive at first but once you get a job, things will balance out.

My perception.

:)

• Like 4

Awesome first week, if you ask me :) What's a little cold when you're on an adventure of a lifetime and starting a whole new chapter .... and loving it already?

Really impressed that you got phone calls back on all your applications. Could you share what industry you're in? Are you aiming at top end of salary bracket? Trying to gauge whether you're getting such positive feedback because (1) you're now in the country and ready to go, (2) your industry is in high demand or (3) your salary bracket is in the mid or top range. Of course it could be none of these, because you could just be amazing :)

Hi Mistermoose. I'm in IT Security / Networking and I have 13 years experience.

seek.com has been great.

My advice for salary is phone recruiters ask what the salary range is, it'll give you a good idea, most of them are quite friendly.

ORC, you will soon learn that trying to tell an Asian businessman about food saftey is like trying to tell a black person that the economy was stronger under Apartheid.

So, look outside the shop for an infringement notice. Many take aways and restaurants have to put a sign outside from NSW Heth stating they haven't cleaned up their act.

As far as many of the Asians are concerned, if it tastes good, then it is good! So, don't assume that a busy restaurant doesn't have an infringement notice...

The only difference between downtown Bangkok and Sydney are the infringement notices and the high prices ?

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

I am with Monsta on this... in Melbourne one of the most popular Indian restaurants was eventually closed down, by the Health Dept, after three major health problems, like rats scurrying across the kitchen, food being recycled, etc!