Seasonal allergies in Cape Town: did they move with you to Aus?

mistermoose

It's a strange tale of unexplained events, but since moving to Table View about 10 years ago, I've been hit with seasonal allergies year after year. I end up with eye drops, daily tablets and even an injection once a year to get through it.

While it could just be something that arrived with age, some have said that the Caltex refinery has something to do with it. I think they could be right, because after growing up in Durban, moving to Joburg, moving to Sea Point in Cape Town and moving to Milnerton, I didn't have even a hint of regular sneezing or itchy eyes. Only once moving beyond Sunset Beach into Flamingo Vlei and Table View have I had this horrible recurring nightmare that rolls in every September or October.

So I'm wondering if any ex-Capetonians who were in the same boat have experienced the same allergies after moving over, or if they magically disappeared. The latter would add a very pleasant cherry on the cake!

Depends (I'm not from CT, BTW), but the pollens and so on are so different, who can say up front what will or won't affect you?

What he said^

Never got the vine pollen issues in the Cape, that pesters others. Nearly died in London of grass pollen in Spring. Now I have a couple of weeks of mild grass pollen unpleasantness in Sep. One squirt of Bacanaise sorts that. Nothing to write home about.

Sorry - should have mentioned that back in Jnb the wife had a few sinus issues, in spring and later in winter due to the dryness, but in Perth, she is basically blocked up from late winter to late spring. Some sort of tree pollen probably.

Luckily, I'm OK, so no hassles ;)

Right, so I might be better ... or worse ... or neither :D

It's a small-ish thing but because it arrives with such force here, and lasts for about 3-4 months, it would be very welcome to have an easier time with allergies on the other side.

Well, mistermoose if you are only allergic like that in one place in RSA, then chances are that you won't find the exact same thing in Aus to be allergic to. But you might find new things :P

There is a theory, I think put forward by Dr Garth Cambray, that eating local honey can reduce allergies by introducing the body to small amounts of pollen that are present in the honey. I guess it would have to be raw honey (i.e. not heat treated/irradiated), and very local, so you'd have to source a local beekeeper. That's if it is caused by pollen, and not Caltex.

I had severe allergies while living in Cape Town, but these have improved significantly since moving to Sydney. However, hubby and daughter's allergies are worse here in Sydney compared to Cape Town. So it can go both ways really.

• 1 month later...

Ironically I never had allergies or hay fever in my life in South Africa - lived in Johannesburg, and all around Cape Town.

However upon arrival in Melbourne, I suffered my first hay fever attack - turns out I am sensitive to the pollen on the London Plane trees that line a lot of the roads here. The real problem with it is that it rules out one of the suburbs that we had earmarked to look for a rental - Elwood - as all the streets there are lined with those trees :(

As far as allergic reactions go: watch out for the mozzies. Their bites can turn into great big red welts on some people here in Oz. I never had a problem in RSA so mozzies must pack more of a punch here.

Well rather a tree or a mosquito than a gang of armed robbers. I see a lot of Telfast in my future!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

My kids' allergies are much worse in Melbourne than it ever was in CT. We live Bayside, so wind brings a lot of dust.

There are also a certain type of tree in Melbourne called the Plane tree which are super bad for my kids. It is high doses anithistamines and cortizone sprays!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/plane-trees-a-serious-health-risk-during-spring-doctors-say-20151030-gkmxzd.html

Still a small price for freedom... :closedeyes:

Never had allergies until we moved to Cape Town (southern suburbs). Now I'm a mess for 4 weeks during spring. Hoping it doesn't follow me to Sydney...