How much is enough?

A & J

We are a family of five (three kids under 5) planning to make the move to Brisbane. We are leading a comfortable life but nothing extravacant.

Can someone give us any idea have our income should be in Ausie Dollars to lead an average comfortable life in Qeeunsland??

A&J

This topic has been covered extensively on this forum. At teh end of this posting there is a search feature.

Type in words like budget, cost of living, expenses etc and you will find a number of threads that deal with this quesiton as well as some specific to Queensland

Have a look at this pinned link on useful sites to look at when immigrating

Rgds

matman

Edited by matman

Hey A J

This is how I see it -

Check out websites like Seek.com to get a feel for what you can earn in your field. Some skills values differ from here to there. But more important than what you can earn, and looking at house prices:

Expats correct me where I'm wrong here:

You pay about 6% interest on your house, almost half than in SA, on your biggest expense/investment in life.

Cars are much cheaper.

Schooling is free in public schools, which are OK!

Tertiary education is free. (You'll pay up to R150K/year in SA in 15 years)- You’ll have to re-bond your house for your kids if you haven’t planned.

Basic retirement is also covered

Your medical is covered after 2 years

You don't pay for private security

Not as many toll roads.

I don't know how heavily you are taxed in Aus - but you can definitely see where the taxes go.

Most hard working Australians are living comfortably.

Also – when you are an old and sunburned retired Aussie– I believe you will be worth a lot more globally, than if you had stayed in SA.

But hey, who's moving for financial reasons……

We are a family of five (three kids under 5) planning to make the move to Brisbane. We are leading a comfortable life but nothing extravacant.

Can someone give us any idea have our income should be in Ausie Dollars to lead an average comfortable life in Qeeunsland??

Hi Also a family of 5 -

(We are on a student visa )

Not sure if this helps - just working on advise and people who have been there and done it - and average costs

http://www.uq.edu.au/studyabroad/docs/finance.pdf

(they give worst case scenario as international students dont get any of the Australia PR / citizen benefits)

http://www.deakin.edu.au/international/pro...ney_matters.php

Edited by Erica

Hi Scatterling

Don't know about that free tertiary education you speak about...you can get a government loan, (probably need pr or citizenship though) but it is certainly not free!!!