How To: Rental Tips

vaalrivier

Has anyone in Perth had any experience breaking a lease? Do you have to keep paying the rent until the agent finds a new tenant? Or do you just have to pay costs to advertise the property?

Maybe not the same for all rentals or areas, but we had to cover ad costs AND pay rent until they secured a new tenant. We obviously then did a lot of our own 'word of mouth" networking and luckily got a new tenant very quickly.

• Like 1

Yes you are resposible for the rent up until the end of your lease as well as reasonable advertising costs. But do check with reiwa what they can and cant charge you as most will try and squeeze anything they can out of you if you arent clued up!

Yep, for us it was a penalty to cover advertising and early break contract fee (That they told me is to cover the commission they miss out on from the contract not going full term), then we had to pay until they had a new person in as well, but once we had moved out and thy could say immediate occupation, that was really fast

• 1 month later...

Hi All...

Moving to Sydney in March. What do rental agencies want in terms of paperwork from you if you do not have a rental history in Sydney?

I currently own a (bond-free) house in SA so I do not have references from SA rental agents?

Hi All...

Moving to Sydney in March. What do rental agencies want in terms of paperwork from you if you do not have a rental history in Sydney?

I currently own a (bond-free) house in SA so I do not have references from SA rental agents?

Hi kc2stars.

We have just secured a lease agreement in Melbourne, with not rental history at all.

We needed to provide the following :

1) proof of ID - passport, local drivers license and Medicare card

2) Current and prior employment history. Hubby had only been in job for 3 weeks here

3) Employment and friend reference contact details

To this we added a reference from the estate agent that sold our RSA property as to how long we had owned it, and the condition it was upon sale thereof. We also added a letter describing / introducing ourselves.

We secured the rental and only had to pay the normal bond and one months rent in advance.

If you are not selling your house in RSA, perhaps you can attach an affidavit where you state current address, length of occupation, proof of ownership, and some photos indicating condition of property ? Another tip I have read on the forum is to offer more than one months rent in advance.

All the best

• Like 1

Thanks. I will ask the estate agent for that and also get some additional friend reference contact details for them.