Pet emigration! Keringa vs Pet Port

TarrynR

Hi everyone

For those that have taken their furbabies across. What's the final verdict? Is Keringa or PetPort better?

I was always going to go with Pet port as they came recommended, but after reading some comments on the pinned thread I'm not so sure. However, I've just given Keringa a call and the lady I spoke to didn't really seem interested in helping me. So now who do you choose? I want a company that treats my dogs like their own and will give me updates on their progress.

I have been gathering some quotes too in the past few months and I received really excellent feedback from Global Pets. Has anyone used them?

Ask to speak to Shirley at Keringa - she's been helping us out the last couple months and has been an absolute GEM!

Every crazy question I have had, she emails back so fast!

I have have very good service so far from Global Paws (in somerset west) but very Indifferent bordering on unhelpful service from the other two. Also the other two insist on kenneling with them at an additional cost. But I am still in the beginning phases so can't comment more.

Keringa does insist on the kenneling pre-flight, but ultimately it is your choice.

We have personally chosen for our furkids to board with them 30 days prior, because it will give me the ultimate peace of mind that every inch of paperwork and requirement is done to the letter, with perfection. We won't be in South Africa when they are eligble to fly, so I can't trust anyone to do it for us!

I've travelled a few times with our dogs, and trust me, its freakin stressful worrying about paperwork and if its incorrect or not.

Its so worth every penny having them travel with you and join you on your adventure !

P.S Keringa's boarding facilities are so wonderful that I think they wouldn't want to come home!

Edited by MrsSmith

MrsSmith, I do agree with you that it's peace of mind, and you know that things will (hopefully) get done correctly. But I must admit I hit a bit of an angry phase today when I realized that these pet travel companies are charging over R700 per day per pet for their kennelling! For me, this will exclude the food as my labs are on Hills and it excludes the paperwork costs and vet. 5 days before export the only things your pets go through is a clinical examination and the health certificate gets completed. All other tests get done before this.

Sorry, rant over! ;)

At the end of it all.... We pay the bill because they mean the world to us! :)

I can barely afford to take my dog with me so the keneling is just not an option. Keringa insisted on 30 days when I got the quote from them back in June. Petport 7 days.

We used Global Paws and they were good and way cheaper than Keringa. The kennelling facility was pretty luxurious and their communication with us about our pets was great.

• Like 2

We used Keringa and they were very good. The facilities are good and they cared very well for our dog and gave him lots of attention (as witnessed by our in-laws who visited him a number of times)

Thanks TarrynR! That is the route I am going. I just need an agent for the actual shipping as that seems you can't do on your own. I have to save every cost I can just to get her over. I can't even take both of mine at the same time because of cost ?

I met the state vet in Durban today to get our dogs RNATT declarations signed for their import permit. She is amazing! She also told me that KZN is the only province where you don't have to pay for their export permits. After meeting her I'm also leaning towards doing this process on my own and just using a company for their flights.

Found another company called "Pets en transit". Anyone used them?

Edited by TarrynR

Hey TarrynR

I have a similar thread going too

Interested to see comments from those in Oz already, so can hear first hand experience of how all panned out

So far all the different pet travel agents have been friendly and helpful on our initial inquiries, including petport who phoned me originally after our prospective moving company passed on our details to them.

Petport were sent our Titre test (as we were going with them originally at the time we had our cat tested) and picked up an error and have sent it back to Onderstepoort for correction.

So its a bit of a conundrum of who to go with. Think if we do leave before our cat it will then be who has the best kennel facilities.

good luck

Sorry, I meant " Global Paws " and not pets. Yes, I agree the boarding of 30 days was overboard for me too. I am hoping to do this without the boarding of 30 days. The costs are too much for me with the container and everything else so I am leaving my pets behind till I am settled in an appropriate rental and earning dollars and then only am I going to attempt to bring them over.

Global paws emailed me back and referred me to "pets en transit" since they apparently have a Durban base! I've emailed them so will see what they say.

Keringa emailed me with a 7 day boarding option too. Still crazy expensive though, but obviously cheaper than 30 days (only by half).

The service from Jacky at Global Paws has been outstanding. She's super friendly, very understanding, and quick to reply. The costs are much lower than Keringa, but I'd be interested to know how to go about doing this yourself (don't the airlines insist on a licensed agency arranging things?) and what the cost difference would be.

With Global Paws there is an option to do all the medical stuff yourself which is the cheaper option. You do have to use a pet transport company to ship them though.

We used Keringa, and have been through the whole process. I can honestly say that if we had to do it again, we would go the same route. Keringa is not the cheapest, but their service, professionalism and commitment to the animals they look after is excellent. We chose to board our little guy with them for 2 months prior to us leaving (various reasons involved), and he was so well taken care of. We were able to visit him, and their facilities and staff are great. I was looking through all our paperwork that came across with my Max, and while it is definitely doable, I wasn't comfortable getting everything done on my own. I was too scared that I would miss something and wasn't prepared to take a chance that he would arrive at quarantine in Sydney and they would find a problem.

Also, bear in mind that depending on where you are settling in Aus, you have to arrange the transport from quarantine to their final destination, so that is another cost to consider. JetPets is great, does all the flight bookings, picks them up from quarantine and delivers them to their flights. All in all, we had a good experience - an expensive experience, but well worth it considering we have our little guy here with us

• Like 1

I met the state vet in Durban today to get our dogs RNATT declarations signed for their import permit. She is amazing! She also told me that KZN is the only province where you don't have to pay for their export permits. After meeting her I'm also leaning towards doing this process on my own and just using a company for their flights.

Found another company called "Pets en transit". Anyone used them?

Hi TarrynR

We are also debating who to use, Keringa is over 10k more expensive than PetPort, so it's a real tough decision. Although Keringa are probably the best. where can I view these PetPort reviews which made you question using them?!

Where is the state vet in DBN? I've tried several numbers and addresses but battling to find them. Glad she is amazing, we are awaiting our RNAT results now.

We are looking at leaving in Feb 2016, our pooch can only leave 9 March 2016 so will probably do the 30 days as much as I can't handle being apart that long, for the greater good I'll bear it.

Please let me know if you find any gems or who you decide....

Thanks

Hi AlisonC,

I read through the pinned post in this forum and other posts about pet emigration. Also, I emailed pet port on Tuesday about details for the import permit and hadn't heard back from them by Friday afternoon. I'm meeting the guys from "pets en transit" this week. They are locally Durban based and I'm keen to get my dogs on a flight from Durban and I think they will be able to help. Will let you know what they say.

The state vet has her office in Commerical City, 17th floor. Across from pine parcade. Why can your dog only leave in March?

Hi everyone, this last week I have dealt substantially with pet port and I am quite happy with the response time and service that I have received. The Keringa quotation I got was over 10k more expensive when compared to the pet port quotation.

I'm sure the delay was probably due to the fact that everyone wants to take their pets but when they find out the costs, they quickly change there minds. For us, our dog is our child so this would never be an option!

If they don't get back to you, maybe give them a call, I am quite happy to use them now.