Resident Return Visas

Pell

It used to be that if you didn't spend 2 out of the last 5 years in Australia, you couldn't leave the country for two years following your rellocation - at least that's what our agent told us long time ago when we were applying for our PR. Now it seems that even if you didn't spend enough time in AU, you can get a Resident Return Visa for one year, no problem, if you can demonstrate substantial ties with Australia (home ownership, statement of school fees etc.).

Does anyone know if there are any 'catches' with this? I need to travel for work and the Immi department assured me that I would have no problems getting this visa or applying for citizenship in a few years' time.

Pell

Go to http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/155- to see the requirements for a RRV. You will get a RRV each time, but the length of that visa will depend on a lot of factors. First prize would be to have spent two years in Oz.

The citizenship question is different from the RRV question. When you apply for citizenship, the DIBP will look at the four years immediately before you apply and as long as you have spent at least 75% of the four years (three years) in Oz, including at least nine months of the 12 months before you apply, you would qualify for the resident requirement of the citizenship application.

• Like 1

I landed in Jan14, and got a 1 year RRV in June 15 (18 months after landing), no problems. As a minimum you would get 3 months RRV, but if you prove "substantial ties" which could be as simple as permanent employment, you would get 1 year.

Obviously, if you're here for 2 + years, you could get a 5 year RRV.