BUY NEW OR TAKE OLD

Eagle

My family and i did the big move over to Australia twice now. 1994 and 2007

Both times we only brought our baggage of (30kg each) over with us.

IS IT WORTH PAYING FOR A CONTAINER TO BRING ALL THE OLD FURNITURE AND WAITING FOR DELIVERY ?

OR

BUYING EVERYTHING NEW IN AUSTRALIA AND SETTLING IN STRAIGHT AWAY WITH NEW FURNITURE ?

I'd like to find out whether anyone on the forum thought that it was worth the TROUBLE ?

Vehicles is a NO NO - they are so much cheaper to buy here in Australia.

Containers ARE EXPENSIVE and do take ages to get here which could make life very difficult.

We sold everything to the black market within a month, we had a bargain sale and auctioned the furniture off, but the good stuff we gave to friends and family.

Personally i liked buying everything new with a new beginning.

Oh yes i took a sterio over back to SA and it really did not work aswell as it did in Aussie !! So could it be safe to say that most electronic appliances would not work the same way by different voltage ?

Regards Eagle

Eagle.

This has been on the forum many times. General concensus is that take everything you can form here. Cost analysis is that is far cheaper to take stuff. No 2nd hand market here really in SAfrica.

Cheers

Reid

Hi Eagle

We didn't bring any furniture (unles you can't my 4 beloved bar stools) and we have bought a lounge suite, dining room table, bedroom suite etc.... and it worked out that it cost a bit more than bringing our old stuff including the shipping cost. It is just so nice ot buy new :holy:

Cheers

Gaille

It all depends on the quality of the furniture you have in SA, if it is a good quality take it. I would not take cheap nasty furniture with us.

we went into furniture city and the furniture these days is really nasty, no pride and quality in it and not cheap.

cheers

Camper

Eagle-eye

The whole experience of moving continent must be so distressing.

"That, which is home, is more than just four walls."

I'm speculating as I haven't moved yet but I think I'm going to need my stuff.

Also;

I got a budgetary quote from Crown removals and I felt that the value of my "stuff" is worth way more than the shipping costs.

Also; I think your old wireless got wrecked in the move.

SA and Aus have the same supply voltage.

Even if there are mains fluctuations - it will either work or not work - nothing in-between due to supply.

You must have really liked that Hi-Fi to move back to Aus!

Or maybe Aussie music just sounds a bit "sweeter".

I think it is a very personal thing - some people travel lite

I know someone who filled 2 x 40ft container - they have really good furniture and it was not worth leaving anything behind , they took everything and have not regretted they stored stuff until they found the house that could accomodate them and their furniture

I know people who have come to SA with the clothes on their back minimal and it has taken them a long time to build up a new home

So yip if you can afford to fill a 20ft it makes a load of sense

My children would be seriously miserable if they did not have all their favourites and so would we

Search for furniture - plenty threads happening and everyone has their own opinion

BUT AS REID SAID PLENTY INFO ON REASON WHY TO TAKE IT WITH

I agree with Erica it is personal decision.

When we moved from RSA to Brisbane we brought only books,photos,clothing and personal items(including some of my sons old toys and sporting equipment including Gareth's broken skate board (he packed that himself) and shool records even though my three sons are now all "adults." We have a son In Sydney ,one in Adelaide and one in Bermuda (Gareth)

We had decided that if we were going to move that we would like a fresh start and bought new furniture when we arrive in Brisbane. Although we found things relatively expensive (we were still converting everything to Rand then) it was great fun shopping for new furniture that complemented our new home.

When more stringent currency controls were in place it may have made sense to buy new furniture in RSA (or bring your old furniture) put it in a container and ship it over. Exchange control is no longer such a limiting factor.

Whatever your decision- Enjoy!