The beginning...

CapeTownGirl

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself quickly. My partner and I have just started the process of migrating via the 189 Visa and although there are still many stressful months ahead of us, we are very excited. This forum has already helped me loads with the thousands of questions I have, thank you to all the contributors! I will add information as we go along the process :).

We are also taking our 2 kitties with us. It seems it is going to work out almost the same price as our visa application *gulp*, but they are our children and cannot even think of leaving them behind. To be honest, I think their migration stresses me out more than ours!

We are moving from Cape Town to Brisbane (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Wishing everyone the best!

• Like 4

Welcome CapeTownGirl may your journey be an easy one.

Best of luck! :ilikeit:

Welcome to the visa application roller coaster ride ! All the best.

Hey Capetowngirl! We are also taking our baby cats with us :P. Good luck with the process :)

Welcome CapeTown girl! Wishing you all the best with the upcoming months, there are so many wonderful people on here to help and guide, it's been a fantastic journey reading up on all sorts on the forum that has helped so much.

Regarding your kitties, it is soooo much more stressful worrying about your pet babies, their paperwork and the travel side of it all, compared to your own. We've done it a few times with our dogs, and can say that its definitely harder for us as the "parent" than it is actually for them, they're pretty resilient, and are always just happy to see you at the end of their journey! I can recommend Keringa Pet Wings for pet travel, they have been fantastic with our dogs' process :)

Take care

x

Welcome, from another kitty lover!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and encouraging words!

Thank you MrsSmith, I will definitely consider Keringa. My only problem with them is that they are persistent about the cats staying at their kennels for the month before the travel date. I understand with all the preparation work, it would probably be easier. I just don't know if it is best for us in Cape Town to send them up to Gauteng for a month before their trip. It's still a long while before we will even know what our trip date is, but I've heard the pets arrangements take a while so we have started looking into things so long.

I think cats process is very similar if not the same as the process for dogs - its a 6 month waiting period starting from the date the blood is drawn at yours vets for the rabies blood test.

Its a long process from SA side, but at least they only essentially need 10 days quarantine on arrival in Aus. Keringa's facilities are better than most peoples home haha, and one thing I know is that even though its an extra cost to send your babies their for the month before, its the easiest thing to pay for because you have complete peace of mind that everything is perfectly done to the letter, with no room for error. My friend had her cat and two dogs stay at Keringa for a month before travel, and she said they were SO spoilt. They have answered every annoying question I have had, so definitely recommend them. If you have any queries, you're welcome to give me a shout, otherwise good luck with all the processes!

If you haven't seen this already, here's the step by step guide:

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-cats

Edited by MrsSmith

• 1 month later...

Hi Cape Town Girl,

Welcome,i ve also just recently joined. I am too based in CT and received my Permanent Residency Visa 2 weeks (my partner is Australian). We leaving end of Jan 2015. Word of advise, do not take your Vet's word for it, start the process now! (Shots, vaccinations etc) we have a 4 legged fur child and was given the incorrect info, he will now only be able to travel in April 2016.

Good luck, we started clearing out our house last weekend....what a mission!

Althea

Welcome to you too Althea!

Congratulations, that's amazing news! I am terribly sorry to hear about the delay in travels for the fur-child though, if I may ask, what is causing it?

Oh, I can only imagine what a mission it must be! We are still in the beginning of our process (realistically we will only be able to leave Aug 2016 at the soonest) and I am already starting to de-clutter.

Best of luck!

thanks Cape town girl!

Time flies so get started :D Fur child has a cold and they wont take blood test, also the Vet said we can do 3 months before leaving, Aus says strictly 180 days after bllod test. So he will stay with our best friend who adores him until he can board the flight in April 2016. I have to get into the Country before my Police Clearance expires.

Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello CapeTownGirl,

Welcome to the forum!

Hey, we're coming over the same time as Althea's fur child April 2016!