Question for the teachers!

turbotwink

Question

Hi All

I am hoping for some advice with regards to the required practical experience of 45 days needed for your teaching qualification to be accepted. I am currently busy with my PGCE and will also be completing a advanced diploma specializing in Special Needs Education.

The college that I am completing the PGCE through only requires 40 days practical experience. Now, my question is, do you think it would be sufficient that I arrange with my lecturer to complete 45 days supervised practical teaching instead of only 40?

Any advice will be appreciated!

9 answers to this question

I'd recommend you make a plan to have the 45 days on record. Without you will be screwed and Aus will never accept your qualification.

I know a lot of Wits students are failing to get Aus visas because they only require 35 days. These people cannot add another 10 days onto their qualification and hence it basically equates to nothing in Aus. Get those 45 days any way you can and make sure they go on your official record.

Hi!

I did my PGCE at UJ in 2012. I just did an extra 10 days (I only needed 35 according to uni), I then had the school write a letter, dated, stamped, signed and on school letterhead saying I did 45 days with them.

Then I got another letter from the uni stating the same. I got my visa and teacher registration and I am happily teaching in WA.

Just get it on paper and all will be well. :)

Hi!

I did my PGCE at UJ in 2012. I just did an extra 10 days (I only needed 35 according to uni), I then had the school write a letter, dated, stamped, signed and on school letterhead saying I did 45 days with them.

Then I got another letter from the uni stating the same. I got my visa and teacher registration and I am happily teaching in WA.

Just get it on paper and all will be well. :)

Obviously you can get around things sometimes but the official way immigration is supposed to do the check is to request the official records filled out during the time of your studies (these are kept on record for 5/10 years - can't remember which) from the university. If you get lucky then great but I would say rather study somewhere where they make time provisions for you to get the right amount of days. If they do follow the correct procedure and you come up short you can kiss your ticket goodbye.

Just to clarify, I did my 45 days (instead of 35) whilst I was busy with my PGCE. I just stayed on an extra two weeks whilst doing my prac, and had the uni sign off on it before I even got my cert.

I dont think you could do that post qualification. Just do it whilst you are on prac.

Oh, and my immigration officer was informed of this very clearly as the letter from uni stated I did 10 days extra. No 'getting around' the aus visa people. Honest and straightforward. They arent out to get you...

Both aitsl and aus visa accepted this, knowing exactly that I had to do 10 days more than any other uj student.

Just to clarify, I did my 45 days (instead of 35) whilst I was busy with my PGCE. I just stayed on an extra two weeks whilst doing my prac, and had the uni sign off on it before I even got my cert.

I dont think you could do that post qualification. Just do it whilst you are on prac.

Oh, and my immigration officer was informed of this very clearly as the letter from uni stated I did 10 days extra. No 'getting around' the aus visa people. Honest and straightforward. They arent out to get you...

Both aitsl and aus visa accepted this, knowing exactly that I had to do 10 days more than any other uj student.

Sorry misunderstood.

No worries ;)

Hi there :)

I was wondering if anyone had applied for their visa and succeeded with a UNISA PGCE? Sorry I am new here and not sure if this is the correct place to ask. My husband and I received our 176 visa in July 2009, emmigrated to WA in December 2010 and returned to RSA July 2011(much to my dismay....I cried as the plane took off from Perth back to RSA ;) ). Our visa expired in July 2014 and we would like to be able to go back but now my husband has turned 40 and lost points due to his age. As I am younger we thought I should do a PGCE so that we can apply using my points. I am just nervous that a PGCE from UNISA will not be accepted. My other option is through UKZN..

Any advice anyone can give I would be so appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Hi there :)

I was wondering if anyone had applied for their visa and succeeded with a UNISA PGCE? Sorry I am new here and not sure if this is the correct place to ask. My husband and I received our 176 visa in July 2009, emmigrated to WA in December 2010 and returned to RSA July 2011(much to my dismay....I cried as the plane took off from Perth back to RSA ;) ). Our visa expired in July 2014 and we would like to be able to go back but now my husband has turned 40 and lost points due to his age. As I am younger we thought I should do a PGCE so that we can apply using my points. I am just nervous that a PGCE from UNISA will not be accepted. My other option is through UKZN..

Any advice anyone can give I would be so appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Hi another Newbie :)

Also thinking of doing PGCE through UNISA so will be following your post. Thanks for asking Guppy :)

Appreciate any feed back reagarding visa selection with PGCE through UNISA.

Thanks