1 Month in Sydney

Kimmykins

Hey All,

I know how I liked to read these topics to get a real time sort of feel for Aus. Here it is with some advise (I hope)

Week 1 - As some might know I got all my administrative duties done in the first week in Aus

Week 2 - Got a job on the second week in Aus (though Seek)

Week 3 - secured a rental and school for my eldest daughter. (if you had your own house in SA give the rental agents a copy of your deed, also start transferring money to your Aus account before you land, that way they can see you have got money in the back and are able to pay your rent.) basically the more paper work you can throw in on your application, the better.

Week 4 - Starting furnishing the place more

Hits and Tips

1. If you can ship your wooded items from SA. The wood is expensive here and not nearly of the same quality (I regret having sold

ours every time I look at cabnets etc.

2. Ikea, Fantastic Furniture and Gumtree is your best bet to start off with furnishings in your new place, don't expect fantastic quality for

Ikea (it will be functional till you get your feet on the ground)

3. Research before you buy any items online from online store (I have already been scammed with buying bedding which was 2 weeks

ago and has still not arrived, if I had done my research before hand I would have seen the company has terrible reviews)

4. The Aussies are friendly, if you need help or are lost, just ask

5. Prepare yourself for a culture shock, this country has a WIDE diversity of people in it.

6. Aus is expensive, Sydney even more so. Aldi is your best bet for groceries (although they don't have as bigger variety as Coles, or

Woollies) its ok for starting off on a budget

7. Try get written reference's from your companies, it helps

8. Make sure your kids injections are up to date according to what they need in Aus

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/subjects/immunising-your-children

9. Big W is good for bedding and small wares.

10. Its though, try surround yourself with friends before hand if you can, that way there will be a point of reference you can turn too,

BUT so far its been worth it.

11. However tempting it may be try not buy your car outright, this way you can build a credit history.

K

• Like 4

Kimmykins,

Just on IKEA, if you haven't already joined the Family Club it's a good idea. You then get warranty and cover for the life of the product as long as you remain a member. And while the quality isn't the same, you are backed by some amazing warranties like 10-years on their PAX wardrobe, 25-years on mattresses etc. You can even take something home, built in and return it sans packaging (as long as you scanned it on your card or have the slip) and get a refund or exchange, done it a couple times (and about to go do so now!).

There are also other advantages like discounts, members events, food discounts and exclusive offers etc.

A heads up for you, or anyone else shopping at IKEA.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 4

Wow awesome tips Kimmykins, every bit helps! We are so excited to get there. Thankfully have done the overseas moves before, but I know Aus is going to be a good change, albeit a change!

Anything else you think of as a newcomer, please keep sharing, I love to read Sydney related things. Hope to be there soooooooooon.

• Like 1

Hi Kimmykins,

That is amazing progress, keep up the excellent work.

All the best and keep us informed .

Love reading your posts. :wub:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one week in and I love this place (aside from the cold i picked up).

Love the diversity and the fact that everyone is friendly and wants to help.

Going to some events next week so looking forward to it.

Applied for a few jobs, got as many calls back wanting an interview and have 2 second round interviews next week.

I go to coles because it's just across the road from where I'm staying but will soon be going on the hunt for furniture once I get my apartment.

Only downside is I've found the pharmacies here, friendly but understocked. Not half the stuff you get in SA.

• Like 2

Great news ORC, you are settling in well and get well soon hey.

Only downside is I've found the pharmacies here, friendly but understocked. Not half the stuff you get in SA.

A good tip for pharmacies is to lookup the products you used in RSA on-line. Then write down their active ingredients. There are lots of things you can't get here; but if you give the pharmacist the active ingredients list, they can usually give you a substitute.

It also helps to tell the pharmacist what the medication actually did for you. e.g. "I took vicks medinight to help me sleep as it god rid of my headache".

• Like 1