over 50, 457 visa, Quality Assurance Manager

Canniford

We have decided we want to move to Australia due to our children moving but realise being over 50 we would only be able to move on a 457 visa. Have registerd with SEEK but need confirmation whilst Tim is looking for a position if he would need to have his certificates vetassed or is this just for diplomas and degrees. He is a quality assurance manager, automotive industry, VDA 6.3, ISO 9001, ISO TS 16949, ISO 14001and six sigma. See there are many quality assurance poitions but mainly for the food industry and is thinking of doing a course on this. We are interested in moving to the Perth area towards Bunbury. Tim is a British Citizen, we have lived in the UK and Ireland and moved back to be close to the children and grandchildren. I don't go out to work but look after the grandchildren that are moving although I might not be looking after them in Australia depending on where we all settle. Is there anybody else that has been able to move after the age of 50?

Canniford, my first suggestion is that you send a PM to one of the migration agents that assist us on this forum, SD_MOA or TeeTMI as you are entering a minefield here.

To my knowledge, but they would have to clarify for you:

Although you can enter Australia on a 457, this is a temporary work permit, which although I believe it is renewable, cannot last forever.

If you are planning on applying for permanent residence after arriving on a 457, you may well face some very difficult fences to scale.

Usually the situation is that you have to qualify for permanent residence in order to get it... your age will count against you.

There is perhaps an opportunity on a company sponsored PR, but again due to your age your job and skills would have to be regarded as very exceptional.

I may be completely wrong in my assumptions, hence my advice to speak to one of the above agents who will give you the absolute correct advice.

You could also initially go over on a 457 (probably really hard due to age), and then apply for a parent or contributory parent visa.

Sorry to say I don't like your chances (due to age and work industry) unless you are able to apply for parent visa (if all your children are out of RSA). Yours is the type of case that would really benefit from a free initial assessment from one of the two migration agents on here.

• Like 1

We have been in contact with TeeTMI and have had confirmation that 457 visa is our option, we won't be able to go on a parent sponsored visa and we are sure we would get Tee to handle our visa once Tim gets a sponsored job offer. This seems or rather is our only option. It is scary knowing that it is a temporary visa and that we would have to try apply for PR once we are there. We won't come back to SA if things don't work out and as much as I would hate to move again we are fortunate with Tim's british passport. We have loved living in SA, especially East London and where our house is currently as we overlook bush with a few wild animals roaming around. We might also live far from our daughter which almost defeats one of the aims of moving. Praying there is that one perfect position in the Perth area for us. Thanks for all the replies so far, it does help when working through things. We will continue to prepare paperwork, house, etc in anticipation.

All the best of luck Canniford, I'm sure learning life is too short not to grab the bull by the horns.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you